Create an account
1. People make food choices based on what possible reasons?
a. Body image
b. Ethnic heritage or tradition
c. Emotional comfort
3. Which of the following alert(s) your conscious mind to the sensation of hunger?
5. How many kilocalories will a product with 25 grams of PROTEIN, 19 grams of FAT, and 5 grams of CARBOHYDRATE contain?
c. 291 kilocalories
Ingredients (in a food label) should be posted in order of:
a. Highest concentration to lowest concentration
8. What will happen if pepsin was not released in the stomach after eating?
c. Proteins would not be digested
9. What is the function of the Sphincter of Oddi?
a. to control the entrance of bile into the small intestine
11. _____ is the hormone responsible for stimulating the release of glucose when blood glucose falls too low
13. Digestion of foods includes the mechanical actions of:
b. Peristalsis waves to move the foods down through the digestive tract.
14. Which of the following is a description of chyme?
b. A semi liquid mass of partially digested food released by the stomach into the intestine
16. After swallowing, in what order does food pass through the regions of the GI tract?
c. Stomach, duodenum, jejunum, ileum, colon
19. The main dietary factor associated with elevated blood cholesterol is:
c. High saturated and trans fat intake.
The functions of fat include which of the following:
a component of cell membranes, insulation and protection of internal organs, provide calories
Which of the following is NOT required on food labels
All of the following are required on food labels: Name and address of the manufacturer, A list of the ingredients in descending order by weight, The net weight of the product contained within the package
When the pancreas detects a high concentration of the blood's sugar (glucose), this compound is release
32. The primary function of the ________________ is to store and concentrate bile from the liver.
35. Failure of the _________________________ sphincter will cause food to slide from the stomach back into the esophagus.
Characteristics of type 2 diabetes include all of the following except:
A pancreas that makes too little or no insulin
39. Sucrose, also known as table sugar, is composed of which two monosaccharides?
Glucose and fructose
The nutrient intake level estimated to meet the needs of 50% of the individuals in a life stage and gender group is known as:
Estimated average requirement (EAR)
Which of the following is not a function of the G.I. tract
Exchange of oxygen within the blood cells
45. The purpose of the villi and microvilli in the intestinal tract is to:
Trap the nutrient particles and absorb them into the cells.
46. Which of the following is true about alcohol metabolism?
It occurs in the liver, It occurs at a rate of 1 drink/hour
47. Characteristics of the essential fatty acids include:
they must be supplied by the diet, they are polyunsaturated fatty acids
Which of these factors influence alcohol impairment?
b. Body size
d. Whether or not there is food in the stomach
3. During a long distance run, which of the following processes provides energy?
b. Aerobic respiration
c. Krebs Cycle
"Pear shaped" fat distribution is more commonly seen in males and is linked to more health risks than "apple shaped" fat distribution.
5. Which of the following is NOT true concerning proteins and amino acids?
There are 22 different amino acids
According to DRI recommendations, how many grams of protein would an adult female weighing 120 lb. need daily?
14. Measuring waist circumference is a more accurate technique than Body Mass Index for determining health risks in athletes.
15. Why don't fasting diets work?
Body defends itself by decreasing basal metabolic rate, Body became more efficient at taking fat for storage, Obesity is a chronic disease
Calculate the BMI for a 20 year old male that weighs 150 lb. and has a height of 5 feet and 11 inches.
Which of the following is NOT true concerning the differences between water and fat-soluble vitamins?
Water-soluble vitamins are absorbed into the lymph
20. Which of the following is NOT one of the functions of a protein
All of the following are fxns of proteins: Formation of enzymes, Acid-base balance, Immune function, Source of energy
23. Which of the following herbal supplements are taken to improve memory and help prevent Alzheimer's Disease?
If you eat a lot of red fruits or tomatoes, you can expect to get plenty of which phytochemical.
In which activity is your body not utilizing calories?
Calories are being spent during all of the following: Sleeping, Studying, Watching T.V., Sitting through lecture
If amino acids are oversupplied
The body removes and excretes their amine groups, The body converts amino acid residues to glycogen or fat
The calorie-deficiency disease resulting from chronic starvation is known most specifically as
The primary structure of an amino acid refers to...
The sequence of amino acids along a chain in a protein
When dieting, it is best to strive for 5 to 10 pounds of weight lost per week so that a normal diet can be resumed as soon as possible
37. Sports drinks offer some advantages over water for athletes who:
need to replenish electrolytes.
39. In order for Vitamin D to be activated for use by the body, it must first be altered by what organ(s)?
Due to the dangers of toxically high doses of vitamin A, it is important to monitor the amount of Beta Carotene in the diet.
43. Waist circumference reflects the degree of _____ in proportion to body fatness.
All of the following are involved in signaling satiation (stomach, small intestine, brain's hypothalamus) except:
45. By definition, a vitamin is all of the following except
A vitamin IS An organic compound, Indispensable to body function, Needed in minute amounts
A vitamin is NOT: A non-essential nutrient
47. Our basal metabolic rate (BMR) contributes approximately _____ to our total energy expenditure.
49. In the early minutes of an activity, _____ provides the majority of energy the muscles use to go into action.
The term ergogenic:
implies that the product has special working enhancing powers, is associated with supplements claim to benefits athletes
2. Zinc is essential for which of the following functions:
Wound healing, Sexual maturation, Taste and smell
3. Which of the following actions is more likely to harm a friend who is suffering from an eating disorder than help them?
Offering a couple of simple solutions
7. Which of the following is a factor for causing or perpetuating an eating disorder?
Each of the following is a factor of eating disorders: Genetics, Chemical imbalance, Stress and anxiety, Loss of control in other areas of life
Which is a behavior that would be seen from someone who is suffering from an eating disorder?
All of the following are suspicious behaviors: Using laxatives to speed food transit and decrease absorption time, Exercising excessively to overcompensate for food eaten that day, Pushing food around on their plate to simulate eating, Coincidentally being busy or having other plans every time they are invited out to eat
9. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of normal eating behavior?
Giving a majority of your time and attention to the food you have consumed or will eat later in the day
12. Macrominerals are different fom Microminerals because...
They are required in larger daily amounts
16. As fresh foods go through processing (for example a fresh potato becomes a potato chip) which of the following holds true?
The amount of sodium increases as the amount of potassium decreases
17. One percent of the body's calcium is found in the blood stream. Which of the following is a function of this 1%?
Muscle contraction, Blood clot, Transport of ions, Neurotransmitter secretion
18. Calcium balance between bone and blood is tightly regulated. Which of the following is/are a tool utilized by the body to help maintain this balance.
Vitamin D, Parathyroid hormone
After what age is peak bone mass achieved, where no more calcium can be stored as a bank to prevent osteoporosis?
According to the video on diet and health, the number one leading cause of death is ________?
Which of the following statements about water is NOT true?
FALSE: It makes up about 80% of adult body weight
-It is the most indispensible nutrient
-It participates in chemical reactions in the body
-2/3 of water is intracellular fluid
-All of the above statements are true
29. Which of the following is true about trace minerals?
Bioavailability of minerals is influenced by genetics, Content in a food is influenced by food processing methods
34. If you want to absorb the maximum amount of iron from a supplement you should take it with:
35. According to the video on diet and health watched in class, which of the following diseases are related to food intake:
Cardiovascular disease, Diabetes, Cancer
36. Which of the following groups are at risk of iron deficiency?
Vegans, Endurance Athletes, Pregnant women, A menstruating female
40. Which of the following pathogens is most closely associated with poor hygiene of food handlers?
41. How can you tell if a hamburger is safely cooked?
It is cooked to the proper temperature (160oF)
It is recommended that pregnant women heat deli meat before eating because of which of the following pathogens can grow at refrigeration temperatures?
43. Which of the following groups should avoid all uncooked meat or undercooked eggs?
The elderly, Those who suffer immune dysfunction
47. To thaw food safely, one should do all of the following except:
Thaw the frozen item in warm water
49. This severe form of iodine deficiency occurs when a baby is born to an iodine-deficient mother:
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together