marketing 2014 exam
Terms in this set (65)
a situation analysis reveals that pullman industries will need to increase its minimum wage to 8.75 per hour in three months or face severe government fines for noncompliance. this is an example of a () factor that affects businesses
which of the following is a cyclinal factor that many businesses consider when developing a short term sales forecast
A. holiday seasons
B. product benefits
C. credit policies
D. labor shortages
camille is conducting research for a report that she is writing about the mercury levels in fish. which of the following is the most reliable source for camille to use:
A. an online article that was written last month by a well known marine biologist
B. a chapter from a high school physics textbook that was published in 2001
C. a recent blog entry that was written by Dr.Harold Corning, a retired brain surgeon
D. a 2012 newsletter from a nonprofit organization that studies the effects of air pollution
what spreadsheet function enables Audrey to reorganize sales data in one column so the dollar values appear in descending order?
A. sort and filter
D. find and select
every year, the MXQ Company contacts its customers to verify their telephone numbers, shipping and billing information, and email addresses. The primary purpose of this activity is to
A. update the company's customer records
B. achieve the company's sales quotas
C. determine the customers' buying intentions
D. establish goodwill through public relations
James needs to hire a bookkeeper for his growing business. To determine the new employee's salary, James obtained pay data from five companies in his industry that are similar in size. The research indicated the following: Company A pays $31,205; Company B pays $29,995; Company C pays $34,800; Company D pays $42,500; and Company E pays $36,509. James decided to set his bookkeeper's salary at $35,000. What measure of central tendency did James use to set his new employees salary?
Which of the following computer applications helps manufacturers track and manage the inventory that they use to produce goods:
A. material requirements planning (MRP)
B. job sequencing
C. reverse logistics systems (RLS)
D. critical path
So that employees are prepared to act if an accident occurs in the workplace, many businesses provide them with () training
C. first aid
D. fire reponse
What component of a project plan outlines the manner in which information about the project will be distributed to the project's team members and stakeholders?
A. contingency plan
B. communications plan
C. risk management proposal
D. change management proposal
Arnie needs to buy printer toner and copy paper from the company's office supply vendor. What is the first step that Arnie should take?
A. prepare a purchase order
B. request an invoice
C. submit a reciept
D. complete an expense form
Which of the following are examples of overhead costs:
A. subscriptions, sales, and taxes
B. utilities, insurance, and dividends
C. postage, taxes, and insurance
D. supplies, dividends, and rent
When it gets noisy in her workspace, Olivia puts on her headphones and listens to soft music on her iPod while she works. What principle of time management is Olivia following?
A. focusing on personal goals rather than work tasks
B. dividing large projects into smaller parts
C. making the most of her down time
D. knowing how she works best
Kara has natural artistic talent and thinks that she might want to work as an interior designer. Kara's artistic ability is an example of a/an
Because Nick is a high school student who does not have a lot of paid work experience, he should include his school activities and () in his resume
A. volunteer work
B. political views
C. salary expectations
D. physical characteristics
A primary benefit of taking online continuing education classes is that business professionals can
A. examine their priorities
B. practice their interpersonal skills
C. improve their personal appearance
D. learn at their convenience
1. A primary responsibility of federal regulatory agency is issuing radio and television licenses to qualified applicants. What type of authority does this agency have?
A) control of supply
B) Control of rates
C) Control of conduct
D) control of incorporation
2. When businesses want to make their products available to customers but do not want to over-distribute their goods and services they are seeking
A) Ideal market exposure
B) Exclusive marketing channels
C) Direct distribution capabilities
D) Intense segment coverage
3. Which of the following is a characteristic of a wholesaler:
A) Buys goods from producers in large quantities
B) Sells specialty goods to agent
C) Sells large quantities of goods to small retailers
D)Buys goods from agents and sells them to consumers
4. What is a primary advantage to businesses that use electronic data interchange system?
A) Eliminates shipping errors
B) Shortens order cycle time
C) Ensures that employees follow procedures
D) Reduces vertical challenge conflict
5.Barkers dog food pay Sid's supermarket chain a large sum of money in exchange for a highly visible shelf space for its dog food products in the stores for his dog food is paying a(n)
A) processing fee
B) finder's fee
C) installation charge
D) slotting allowance
6. which of the following is an example of a business that is coordinating marketing activities with channel members:
A) a senior buyer for a construction firm conduct online research to determine which suppliers meet the companies quality standards.
B) a corporation's marketing department developed a schedule for print advertisements that it wants to place in local newspapers.
C) a wholesaler follows up with a producer to ensure that it will ship products to arrive in time for a retailers scheduled promotion.
D) a businesses public relations department developed a press release that provides details about its new product line.
7. which of the following is an example of vertical conflict within a distribution channel:
A) a producer uses a short distribution channel to move its perishable goods.
B) a manufacturer wants to distribute its products to all available channels in a certain area.
C) a large electronics retailer offers a popular item at an extremely low price to attract customers.
D) a retail chain develops a private brand to compete with the national brands that it sells.
8. which of the following is a pre-reading activity that often helps business people to determine if online information is relevant to the specific topic they are researching:
A) Scanning titles and headings.
B) Underlining review questions.
C) Taking detailed notes
D) Memorizing glossary terms.
9. Pablo takes a telephone call for a coworker. So that Pablo's coworker can follow up with the telephone caller, he should ask the collar for his/her
A) telephone number, last name, and address
B) name, current address, and extension number
C) telephone number, last name, and zip code
D) name, organization, and telephone number
10. Aaron prepared a detailed report for his supervisor that described several issues that Aaron has been experiencing on a long term project. Aaron describes the most difficult or challenging issues in the beginning of the report and ended the report with the least important points. How did Aaron organize the information in the report?
A) simple to complex
B) alphabetical by category
C) priority sequence
D) chronological order
11. What is the best way for an employee to obtain product specifications for piece of office equipment?
A) Submit quotation to management
B) Send a letter of inquiry to the vendor
C) Write a product review
D) Develop a cost/benefit analysis
12. Annette sent an email to her supervisor to request a meeting to discuss the terms for a contract with a new vendor. This is an example of
A) informal interaction
B) horizontal feedback
C) upward communication
D) unsolicited collaboration
13. To reinforce the company's customer friendly image, the managers should consistently
A) reorganize the company's resources
B) provide employees with stock options, profit-sharing, and bonuses.
C) emphasize the importance of production planning
D) communicate the companies service quality expectations to employees.
14. Companies demonstrate ethical behavior in customer relationship management by
A) using the presentation software to maintain customer records
B) developing rigid customer service policies.
C) releasing customer's personal information to others without permission.
D) taking steps to secure their customer's confidential information.
15. When a business opens a second location on the other side of town to provide residents with easier accessibility to its goods and services, it is creating ___________ utility
16. PRD Manufacturing quickly realigned its products processes to meet a sudden rise in customer demand for its products. What characteristic of an adaptable organization did the manufacturing Company exhibit?
A) culture intelligence
D) competitive aggression
17. What type of tax did Robert pay when he purchased a bicycle from Wheelers bike shop?
18. A business periodically moves its employees from one department to another to perform different tasks, which helps boost employee morale any combat boredom. This is an example of
A) job rotation
B) task interdependency
C) job security
D) task specialization
19. Consumer spending is most likely to increase when
A) interest rates rise rapidly
B) unemployment rates decline
C) business production slows
D) a recession begins
20. To emphasize the value of diversity in the work place, employee should
A) ignore language differences
B) embrace ethnocentrism
C) base most of their opinions on feelings
D) discourage stereotypes
21. Which of the following is an example of an employee engaging in negative work place gossip:
A) bob tells the project team members, "Jane is going to take over the project while Ryan is on his vacation."
B) Leah says, " Tim, did you watch the Seahawks game last night on TV? I can't believe that it went into overtime it went into overtime!"
C) Todd says, "I heard that the only reason that Rachel was promoted is because she is dating the boss's son.
D) Laura tells her assistant, " Ken, I understand that mistakes happen, but this one cost the company several hundred dollars."
22.Which of the following is a positive way for a project manager to motivate team members to keep up the good work:
A) use high pressure tactics to encourage increased productivity
B) take team members to lunch after reaching a major project milestone
C) provide team members with constructive criticism about their performance
D) Have the team members work weekends to meet important deadlines
23. To determine your personal vision, you must first consider
A) your values
B) cultural differences
C) specific obstacles
D) others aspirations
24. Which of the following is a reason why someone might have trouble adapting to new circumstances:
A) missed opportunities
25. The primary purpose of building political relationships in the workplace is to
A) create a competitive environment
B) get ahead at any cost
C) influence other's behaviors
D) reduce internal conflict
26. Which of the following is a source of unearned income:
27. Transaction fees and interest rates are important considerations when you are
A) selecting a credit card provider
B) establishing your credit rating
C) preparing your bank statements
D) organizing a loan application
28. A business owner carries insurance that covers income losses that the business may experience if hurricane damage prevents the business from operating for short period of time. What type of property insurance does the business owner Carry?
29. Dwayne is working on an income statement for his business. When he finishes it, he's left with his businesses bottom line, which represents the businesses
A) gross profit
B) operating expenses
C) net income
D) profit-and-loss statement
30. Which of the following best describes the finance function:
A) It provides information about the company's finances.
B) It is the same as accounting.
C) It focuses on the record- keeping activities.
D) It boost the company's growth ad reduces risk.
31. A business's specialized budgets are interrelated because each budget is
A) tied to the business's overall goal
B) prepared in order of importance
C) based on executive opinion
D) communicated to all employees
32. A company's human resources department scans applicants resumes and stores them electronically so the company can retrieve the information as needed. What type of technology is the company using to manage human- resources information?
33. When Angela obtained marketing research from a government agency, she collected __________ information.
34. The Business posts a daily survey question on its Facebook page. The business is collecting marketing information by using _________ applications
35. Marketers who send unsolicited email are legally required to provide email recipients with a(n)
A) opt-out option
B) spam filter
D) host option
36. What data-collection method do marketers use when they want to analyze cause-and-effect relationships?
37. Which of the following statements is true about exploratory research:
A) it serves as a starting point for more detailed research.
B) it helps marketers resolve well-defined problems swiftly.
C) involves making accurate predictions about certain situations.
D) it requires careful planning and control to carry out.
38. If a business wants to get a general idea of a populations opinions without investing a lot of time and effort in developing the idea, the business may consider using a(n) ______ sampling plan.
A) non probability
39. Determine the type of rating scale used in the following survey question:
student should decide about the college majors during their senior year in high school.
Strongly agree Agree Not Sure Disagree Strongly disagree
A) semantic differential
C) constant sum
40. By reviewing customer complaint reports, businesses can often identify the
A) specific products that they need to promote.
areas in which they need to improve their performance.
C) sales volume in a market share of their competitors.
D) Number of calls their salespeople make per week.
41. Which of the following is a form of qualitative research:
A) Online survey
B) Focus group
42. An effective marketing research questionnaire includes questions or statements that are written
A) in an ambiguous way
B) to reflect the researcher's personality
C) to address many issues or topics
D) in an objective way
43. Marta reviewed marketing data to determine if researchers followed proper procedures during the data collection phase of the project. What activity did Marta perform?
44. out of twenty five survey respondents, sixteen people rate a products durability at five on a rating scale ranging from one to seven. what measure of central tendency does the number five represent?
45. What type of marketing research error exists when the survey method contains a design flaw?
46. When Jamie develops a questionnaire, she places very broad questions at the beginning of the questionnaire and progressively includes questions that are narrower in scope toward the end of it. What sequencing format is Jamie using to develop the questionnaire?
47. One reason that a business might conduct primary research rather than using secondary marketing information is because the
A) primary information is less expensive to obtain.
B) primary information is always error-free.
C) secondary information is usually irrelevant.
D) secondary information may be outdated.
48. Which of the following statements is true about B2B marketing:
A) after the sale service is not a primary factor when making a buying decision.
B) professional buyers tend to seek product information from their peers
C) One employee tends to make all of the business's buying decisions.
D) Businesses tend to focus on personal selling rather than promotion.
49. Which of the following is a true statement about the marketing mix:
A) a change to one marketing mix element does not affect the other elements.
B) promotion is the most important element in the marketing mix.
C) marketing mix consists of three independent elements.
D) marketing mix elements are interrelated and work as a unit.
What a business focus is on the number of times per month that customers buy a specific product it is identifying a market on the basis of
A) loyalty response
B) benefits derived
C) occasion response
D) rate of use
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Introduction to Business | Gaspar, Bierman, Kolari, Hise, Smith, Arreola-Risa
Marketing Cluster Exam 2014
Principles of Marketing DECA Practice 1
Marketing Final Sem1
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
2016- AICE Business Studies AS Chapters 18 & 19
Unit 2 - 2016
Principles Practice Test
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
DECA Marketing Cluster Vocab
AICE Business AS (All Chapters)
AICE Business AL (All Chapters)