Create an account
Brenda forgot alarm clock, overslept,missed train, and was late to work, etc. Brenda's high level of stress:
can best be explained as the cumulative effect of daily hassles
Investigating the relationship between stress and susceptibility to the common cold and respiratory infections, Sheldon Cohen found that:
The higher a person's level of stress, the higher the rate of respiratory infections & colds
People who use stable, internal, and global explanations for negative events
have a pessimistic explanatory style
As compared to members of individualistic cultures, members of collectivistic cultures are more likely to ___ to cope with stress
Seek social support and use emotion-focused coping strategies
Emotion-focused coping strategies include which of the following?
Denial, distancing, and positive reappraisal
define collectivistic culture
A collectivist culture is one in which people tend to view themselves as members of groups( families, work units, tribes, nations), and usually consider the needs of the group to be more important than the needs of individuals
When you are confronted with a threatening event, you will experience stress if:
You think you are unable to cope with the event or situation
8) According to _____, the _____ response is an adaptive one that increases the chances of survival when an organism is threatened.
Walter Cannon; fight-or-flight
According to Martin Seligman, people who exhibit ___ are more likely to ___
an optimistic explanatory style; be healthier and persist despite setbacks
Describes the symptoms and diagnostic guidelines for more than 200 different specific psychological disorders
13) In the months following her graduation from college, Amber has grappled with feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, and despair. In the last several weeks, these feelings have intensified, and Amber has withdrawn from all interaction with her friends and family. Based on this short description, it would appear that Amber is:
Experiencing major depression
According to one explanation , dissociative identity disorder :
represents a way to cope with extreme abuse or trauma that occurred during childhood
Agoraphobia is a specific type of phobia characterized with an intense fear of:
having a panic attack in a situation where the person would be unable to escape or get help
A (n) ___ is a brief, sudden, uncontrollable episode of acute anxiety and fear that rapidly escalates in intensity and usually includes physical symptoms like a pounding heart, rapid breathing, trembling, and feeling like you can't breathe
17) In the movie As Good As It Gets, actor Jack Nicholson plays the character of Melvin Udall, a romance novel writer who always eats in the same restaurant, brings his own plastic utensils, and hops down the sidewalk to avoid stepping on a crack. The character Nicholson was portraying would probably be diagnosed with:
18) The term _____ describes episodes of depression that are triggered by the transition to the fall and winter months, and subside during the spring and summer months.
SAD ; seasonal affective disorder
Eating disorder where the individual refuese to maintain a minimally normal body weight, is afraid of becoming fat/gaining weight, and has a distorted perception about the size of their body is called
Paranoid personality disorder is characterized by:
pervasive but unwarranted distrust and suspiciousness, and assumptions that other people intend to deceive, exploit or harm them
In suicidal behavior, one consistent gender difference is that:
men outnumber women in suicide deaths because men use more lethal methods
In her therapy practice, Dr. Castellanos regularly uses the techniques of free association, dream interpretation, transference, resistance, and interpretation. Dr. Castellanos has been trained in:
3 essential components of client-centered therapy are:
genuineness, unconditional positive regard, and empathetic understanding
25) Melinda wishes to overcome her extreme shyness. Melinda's therapist helps her design a program in which Melinda records every instance of shy behavior, sets specific goals for acting in a more outgoing fashion in particular situations, and rewards herself when she is successful. Melinda's therapist is probably practicing a form of:
26) To help Woody conquer his fear of driving, Dr. Furlong develops a treatment plan that includes shaping, positive reinforcement, systematic desensitization, and challenging Woody's irrational beliefs. Dr. Furlong is probably practicing which form of psychotherapy?
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
You are thinking about entering psychotherapy. It is reasonable for you to expect your therapist will....
Challenge how you act & think
29) According to _______ and _______, the therapist must demonstrate genuineness, unconditional positive regard, and empathic understanding.
Carl Rogers; client-centered therapy
30) Dr. Burrhus said to his new patient, "I don't want to talk about your miserable childhood or how neglected you felt as a teenager. I'm going to help you overcome your compulsive eating problem. First, we're going to determine exactly when and how much you eat." Dr. Burrhus is most likely:
A Behavior therapist
According to rational-emotive therapy, psychological problems result from:
Irrational beliefs and expectations
Which is based on the assumption that thoughts, emotional responses and behaviors all interact & influence each other?
Drugs that alter mental functions, alleviate psychological symptoms and are used to treat psychological disorders are called...?
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together