5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- what is the difference between wet gum and dry gum method of making emulsions?
- what is a fluid extract?
- what is Pluronic Lecithin Organogel (PLO) and why is it important?
- What is a tincture?
- Lanolin is a (w/o or o/w) emulsion with ____% water.
- a wet gum= adding water to acacia
dry gum = adding oil to acacia
- b Tincture is an alcoholic or hydroalcoholic solution of chemicals or soluble constituents of vegetable drugs.
Tinctures must be keep away from light and heat
- c A concentrated alcohol solution of a vegetable drug of such strength that 1mL= one gram of the dry form of the drug
- d PLO gel is compatible with diverse range of therapeutic agents, including lipophilic and hydrophilic drugs. Most drugs can be incorporated without stability issue.
- e water-oil emulsion with 25% water
5 Multiple choice questions
- Ans: A and C
Note that only water for injection and bacteristatic water may be used
- It prevents surface evaporation
- Poly Ethylene Glycol (PEG)
- Its a variation of dry gum: oil:water:acacia
3;2;1 or 2:1;1
- the near saturation of syrups prevent microbial growth thereby no parabens are needed as antimicrobials
5 True/False questions
why is using distilled water to prepare injections WRONG and DANGEROUS? → It contains pyrogens which are microbial compounds increase body temperature.
what is reverse osmosis? → A concentrated alcohol solution of a vegetable drug of such strength that 1mL= one gram of the dry form of the drug
Which type of product is likely to contain Polyols → Poly Ethylene Glycol (PEG)
what is the ratio for dry gum and wet gum? → ...dunno
what is the use of emulsifying agents? → they reduce the surface tension between the wate and oil and allow the two to mix.