5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- Cefepime (Maxipime)
- Amoxicillin (Amoxil)
- a Penicillin
- b The class of antibiotics is usually reserved for urinary tract infections and have serious adverse effects on hearing and kidney function.
- c Cephalosporin
- d Nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, flatulence,
diarrhea, mild phototoxicity, rash, dizziness,
stinging/burning with topical applications
**Anaphylaxis, secondary infections, hepatotoxicity,
5 Multiple choice questions
- The drug of choice for the treatment of M. tuberculosis.
- The aminoglycosides are narrow-spectrum drugs, most commonly prescribed for infections by aerobic, gram-negative bacteria. They have the potential to cause serious adverse effects such as ototoxicity, nephrotoxicity, and neuromuscular blockade.
- Bacteria are described by their shape (bacilli, cocci, or spirilla), their ability to utilize oxygen (aerobic or anaerobic), and by their staining characteristics (gram positive or gram negative).
- as effective as vancomycin against MRSA
- The antibiotic that is known as the "last chance" drug, for treatment of resistant infections.
5 True/False questions
They kill the infectious agent. → The action of bacteriocidal drugs.
host flora → Normal microorganisms that inhabit the skin and the upper respiratory, genitourinary, and intestinal tracts.
Penicillins → •Most effective against gram-positive bacteria
•Kill bacteria by disrupting cell wall with beta-lactam ring
•Beta-lactamase or penicillinase is enzyme allowing bacteria to be resistant
•New penicillins are penicillinase-resistant
-Examples: oxacillin and cloxacillin
•Combination drugs with beta-lactamase inhibitors
-Examples: clavulanate, sulbactam, tazobactam
•One of safest classes of antibiotic
•Allergy most common adverse effect
•If client allergic to penicillin, avoid cephalosporins
-Possibility of cross-hypersensitivity
•Other adverse effects
-Skin rash; decreased RBC, WBC, or platelet counts
Erythromycin (E-mycin) → Macrolide
superinfections → Occurs secondarily to anti-infective therapy.