After reading this chapter you should be able to:
- define the field of environmental science and discuss its importance.
- identify ways in which humans have altered and continue to alter our environment.
- describe key environmental indicators that help us evaluate the health of the planet.
- define sustainability and explain how it can be measured using the ecological footprint.
- explain the scientific method and its application to the study of environmental problems.
- describe some of the unique challenges and limitations of environmental science.