After reading this chapter you should be able to:
- list the levels of complexity found in the natural world.
- contrast the ways in which density-dependent and density-independent factors affect population size.
- explain growth models, reproductive strategies, survivorship curves, and metapopulations.
- describe species interactions and the roles of keystone species.
- discuss the process of ecological succession.
- explain how latitude, time, area, and distance affect the species richness of a community.