After reading this chapter you should be able to:
- describe the potential limits to human population growth.
- describe important aspects of global and national population growth using demographic terminology and tools.
- evaluate the social, economic, and environmental factors that have contributed to decreasing growth rates in many countries.
- analyze relationships among changes in population size, economic development, and resource consumption at global and local scales.
- explain how people have attempted to harmonize economic development with sustainable development.