5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Haymarket Riot
- Angel island
- socialist society
- Oliver H. Kelley
- American Protective Association
- a (GC), considered the "Father" of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry (more commonly known as "The Grange"). a fraternal organization for American farmers that encouraged farm families to band together for their common economic and political good.
- b society based on the principle of what you can do, in a collective way (w/o stratification, but with inequalities)
- c The immigration station on the west coast where Asian immigrants, mostly Chinese gained admission to the U.S. at San Francisco Bay. Between 1910 and 1940 50k Chinese immigrants entered through Angel Island. Questioning and conditions at Angel Island were much harsher than Ellis Island in New York.
- d 100,000 workers rioted in Chicago. After the police fired into the crowd, the workers met and rallied in Haymarket Square to protest police brutality. A bomb exploded, killing or injuring many of the police. The Chicago workers and the man who set the bomb were immigrants, so the incident promoted anti-immigrant feelings.
- e An organization created by nativists in 1887 that campaigned for laws to restrict immigration
5 Multiple choice questions
- formed in 1892 called populist .. farmers alliances in the great agricultural belts of the west and south, they want the goverment to run rail roads
- republican reformers who were accused of backing reform simply to create openings for their own supporters.
- Sociologist who attacked social Darwinism in his book, Dynamic Sociology.
- A chief of the Sioux who resisted the invasion of the Black Hills and joined Sitting Bull in the defeat of General Custer at Little Bighorn
- United States composer who was the first creator of ragtime to write down his compositions (1868-1917)
5 True/False questions
Boss Tweed → Leader of the Democratic Tammany Hall, New York political machine
Political Machine → a group that controls the activities of a political party
Helen Hunt Jackson → United States writer of romantic novels about the unjust treatment of Native Americans (1830-1885)
SALVATION ARMY → a charitable and religious organization to evangelize and to care for the poor and homeless
Push Factor → factor, such as unemployment or the lack of freedom of speech, that makes people want to leave their country and move to another one