- Level of independence and ability to take on roles of social responsibility
- 1. Person's effectiveness in:
o Memory, language, reading, writing, math reasoning, acquisition of practical knowledge, problem solving, judgement in novel situations, ...
o Awareness of other's thoughts, feelings and experiences, empathy, interpersonal communication skills, friendship abilities, social judgement, ...
o Learning and self management across life settings, personal care, job responsibilities, money management, recreation, behaviour, school, task orientation, occupation,
- 2. Measures:
o Clinical evaluation plus standardised measures
The American Association of Mental Deficiency Adaptive Behaviour Scale
Vineland Adaptive Behaviour Scale
o Measures not sensitive to context
Which children grow up in e.g. protective , rural community will be exposed to different opportunities for development
o Not appropriate for infants
o Performance depends on experiences person has had e.g. adaptive functioning will depend on ability to prepare own food and an individual who has not experienced this will show lack of adaptive functioning
o Distinction between adaptive behaviour & intelligence sometimes blurred
- Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts, including deficits in
o social reciprocity,
o nonverbal communication behaviours used for social interaction (self and others), and
o skills in developing, maintaining and understanding relationships.
- Requires presence of restricted, repetitive patterns of behaviour, interests, or activities.
o Stereotypes or repetitive motor movements
o Insistency on sameness, inflexible adherence to routines, ritualised patterns of verbal and nonverbal behaviour
o High restricted, fixated interests
o Hyper or hypo reactivity to sensory input
- Individual characteristics are noted through use of specifiers e.g., with or without intellectual impairment; with or without accompanying language impairment, etc
- Must be present in the early developmental period
- Encompasses Autism, Asperger's, childhood disintegrative disorder, Rett's, and Pervasive Developmental Disorder