5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Which of the following four objects or persons in NOT accelerating?
- A planet at inferior conjunction is always
- In the system of celestial coordinates that matches latitude and longitude on the Earth, which in the coordinate that is equivalent to longitude?
- the energy flux, F, from a star is the amount of
- Why were Newton's three laws so important to astronomy?
- a Right ascension
- b energy emitted by each square meter of the star's surface each second.
- c Newton's laws showed that planets can move around the Sun by themselves forever, without coming to rest.
- d Olympic swimmer exerting considerable force to maintain a constant speed in a straight line through the water.
- e closer to the Earth than the Sun is.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The star is moving rapidly away from Earth.
- are 88 in number and cover the entire sky.
- path traced out by the Sun in our sky over one year against the background stars.
- The air molecules scatter blue light better than red light, so more blue light reaches our eyes.
- point where the Sun crosses the celestial equator moving northward in its path across the sky.
5 True/False questions
The scientific method is a major force in science, and theories describing physical phenomena have been developed with the aim of ensuring that → at all wavelengths, with a peak at one particular wavelength (color).
The hot, dense gas existing on the Sun emits energy → opposition.
The charged-coupled device, now used extensively for astronomical imaging, works on what principle? → Sun-centered, with the planets moving in perfect circles around the Sun.
What is the main reason for using several radio telescopes together as an interferometer? → to obtain much better angular resolution or sharpness in the images.
According to Newton's laws, a for must be acting whenever → Newton's laws showed that planets can move around the Sun by themselves forever, without coming to rest.