Create an account
An interest in personal property or fixtures that secures payment or performance of an obligation - that is, the interest granted the secured party
A person who owes payment or other performance of the obligation that is secured, regardless of whether he or she owns or has rights in the collateral
A security arrangement between the debtor and the secured party - the agreement that creates the security interest
The taking, by a secured creditor, of those steps which are required under the UCC in order for his or her security interest to be valid as against other creditors
The instrument filed to give public notice of the security interest in the collateral
How to create security interest?
-Create a contract (security agreement) in which Debtor gives Secured Party a "lien" on his collateral
-Secured party must give value to debtor (loan, $)
-Debtor must own collateral (now or in future)
Contents of a Financing Statement
Name and address of debtor and secured party, and the description of the collateral
3rd Party Buyers
1) If Buyer in ordinary course of business - Buyer takes free of secured party's security interest in collateral - except farm products
2) If Buyer NOT in ordinary course of business - Buyer usually doesn't take free of the security interest - liquidator
All equipment now owned or HEREAFTER located at debtor's factory - even future property
All goods of WHATEVER KIND AND WHEREVER LOCATED
Everything is collateralized to first bank
These goods shall serve as collateral for this debt as well as any future debts I have with you
Collateral secures any other debts I have
Not only do these goods serve as collateral, but also any $ received from their sale - retail store
Secured vs. Unsecured Interest
Secured gets 1st bite before unsecured and for enough collateral to satisfy their secured debt
Default by Debtor:
1) Sue debtor and hope to collect from non-exempt property (difficult in Texas)
2) Go to court and get Judge to foreclose security interest
3) Use "self-help" to re-possess the collateral? -> OK if done PEACEFULLY - no violence or threat of violence
4) Debtor peacefully surrenders the property
Creditor "DEEMS ITSELF INSECURE"
When the creditor realized they can't collect from debtor
Turns any time instrument to sight instrument, but creditor must have reason
Takes free of old owner's interest in goods and old owner "can't get goods back" - USUALLY
Keep the Collateral? In Satisfaction of the Debt?
Yes, the creditor can keep the collateral, but it depends - if consumer good and if debtor has paid:
1) More than or equal to 60%, Bank must sell and give equity to the debtor
2) Less than 60%, Bank can keep but debt is now paid in full
Application of Proceeds of Sale of Collateral
1) Sales Expenses - advertising, auctioneer, attorney fees
2) Payment of 1st secured party's debt
3) Payment of any other secured party who has security interest in SAME COLLATERAL
4) Remainder (if any) to debtor - NOT to unsecured creditors
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together