5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- four factor model
- personal benefits
- a lying triggers negative emotions such as guilt, fear
- b lying increases anxiousness, nervousness
- c arousal, attempted control, emotion, thinking
- d the nature of the relationship
- e self benefit vs other benefit
5 Multiple choice questions
- the receiver focuses on fear itself and becomes anious, panicky. effective fear appeals trigger danger control rather than fear control
- power and status
- probing a suspect makes it harder to detect deception, acting suspicious alerts liars and makes them even more vigilant.
observers or 3rd parties are more likely to believe the liar.
- lying requires more mental effort.
- five types of compliance gaining strategies:
activation of impersonal commitments
activation of personal commitments
5 True/False questions
expert power → based on the ability to confer benefits
resistance → power and status
copier study → an image stands for the thing is represents, uncle sam is an icon for america
false dichotomy on logic and emotions → when people agree with the conc they tend to think a persuasive message is "rational" and when they disagree they tend to think a persuasive message is "emotional".
referent power → based on admiration respect regard