Create an account
What were the similarities between Byzantium and Western Europe?
1. Influenced by Islam
2. Civilizations spread northward
3. Polytheism gave way to monotheism
a. Some syncretism - old religious beliefs maintained
4. Northern areas struggled for political definition
5. New trading activities
6. Looked back to Greco-Roman past - borrowed
What were the differences between Byzantium and Western Europe?
1. Different, sometimes hostile versions of Christianity
2. Little mutual contact
a. Trade didn't go east/west
3. East more advanced politically, culturally, economically
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together