The 2 Major Civilizations in Eastern Europe
Byzantium and Western Europe
What religion was Byzantium?
What religion was Western Europe?
What were the similarities between Byzantium and Western Europe?
1. Influenced by Islam
2. Civilizations spread northward
3. Polytheism gave way to monotheism
a. Some syncretism - old religious beliefs maintained
4. Northern areas struggled for political definition
5. New trading activities
6. Looked back to Greco-Roman past - borrowed
What were the differences between Byzantium and Western Europe?
1. Different, sometimes hostile versions of Christianity
2. Little mutual contact
a. Trade didn't go east/west
3. East more advanced politically, culturally, economically
What was the origin of Byzantium?
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.