5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What quotations show the mix of feelings?
(The Wife's Lament)
- What is the date of St. Augustine's arrival?
- Where is Herot and where did Beowulf come from?
- Why did God withhold rest from man?
- For what reasons did Plato kick the poets out of the republic?
- a Herot=island near Denmark, Beowulf came from Geatland
- b So they would want the creator, not creation, make us seek him
- c 597
- d 1. Literature (a copy of a copy) leads us further from the time; assumed that author tries to represent this world in his writing.
2. Poetry appeals to our irrational side; we shouldn't encourage our irrational side which is emotional and untrustworthy
3. Poetry is the result of a mad possession by one god or another, and it's contagious.
- e "All that has failed and our love is as if it had never been."
5 Multiple choice questions
- Reason is a deputy, doesn't do his job well
- our lack of rest pulls us up to God, our blessings weigh us down
- a poem that idealizes rustic, country life
- a passage that overwhelms you; different worlds, values, feelings, ideas converge; can be heard again and again with equal pleasure; transcends time and space; echoes the soul; hides artistic endeavor
5 True/False questions
Two lines of poetry → Couplet
Presumably where has the husband gone and whom with? (The Wife's Lament) → He has gone to a far away country with his kinsmen
What was unusual about The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle? → 1066
Hamartia → the work in relation to the reader
What is the nature of the god? (Maximus) → gentle/loving