5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Pendleton Civil Service Act of 1883
- Craft Unionism
- Eugene V. Debs
- a giving of government jobs to people who helped government officials get elected - also called the "spoils system"
- b Founded the American Railway Union
- c a union that formed by workers of a "craft" (Like in Winnebago - not the WHOLE company but just the cabinet workers)
- d Act passed by Arthur to appoint people to federal jobs through a merit system based on candidate performance based on an exam.
- e when one corporation buys out the stock of another
5 Multiple choice questions
- made it illegal to form a trust that interfered with free trade between states or with other countries.
- National Labor Union - the first large scale national organization formed by William H. Sylvis
- give administrative jobs to qualified officials
- A strike that took place at Carnegie Steel because of pay cuts
- The first skyscraper created in Chicago in 1885 - built by William Le Baron Jenney
5 True/False questions
tenements → many immigrant families would come together to live in one house
UMW → United Mine Workers started by Mary Harris Jones
Pullman Town → During a depression Pullman lowered wages in his company but kept the rent in his town the same - which caused people who lived there to go on strike
Timezones → many immigrant families would come together to live in one house
Monopoly → a firm that buys out all of its competitors