5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Social Darwinism
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Natural selection
- Credit Mobilier
- Eugene V. Debs
- a Founded the American Railway Union
- b less-suited individuals die off while the best adapted survive.
- c Grew out of Charles Darwin's theory of biological evolution.
- d A construction company formed by the Union Pacific RR that charged more then necessary for RR construction and gave the extra back into the Union Pacific company.
- e One of the oldest steel wire suspension bridge
5 Multiple choice questions
- During a depression Pullman lowered wages in his company but kept the rent in his town the same - which caused people who lived there to go on strike
- a firm that buys out all of its competitors
- give administrative jobs to qualified officials
- Allowed for cities to begin producing one thing (example I used in class: Forest City has Winnebago and it produces mobile homes)
- prominent woman in the labor movement - she supported the Great Strike of 1877. She also staged a march with 80 children
5 True/False questions
On the Origin of Species → became president and tried to get congressional support for civil service laws
The Homestead Strike → A strike that took place at Carnegie Steel because of pay cuts
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory → March 25th, 1911 - A factory in NY that started on fire killing 146 women - this highlighted the poor working conditions of women during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
tenements → There are 24 time zones in the world - 4 in the United States. Central, Pacific, Eastern, and Mountain.
political machine → During a depression Pullman lowered wages in his company but kept the rent in his town the same - which caused people who lived there to go on strike