5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Knights of Labor
- Interstate Commerce Commission
- Bird of Passage
- McKinley Tariff Act of 1890
- a National Labor Union - the first large scale national organization formed by William H. Sylvis
- b immigrate temporarily to earn money and then return home
- c Membership to the Knights was open to all workers, regardless of race, gender, or degree of skill.
- d raised tariffs to their highest level
- e Had the job of regulating RR rates due to the Interstate Commerce Act
5 Multiple choice questions
- invented the telephone
- perfected the incandescent light bulb
- Allowed for cities to begin producing one thing (example I used in class: Forest City has Winnebago and it produces mobile homes)
- Very successful with his holding company
- Carnegie Steel president who cut wages - leading to The Homestead Strike
5 True/False questions
B&O RR → RR where the Great Strike of 1877 took place
Brooklyn Bridge → During a depression Pullman lowered wages in his company but kept the rent in his town the same - which caused people who lived there to go on strike
Eugene V. Debs → Founded the American Railway Union
Horizontal integration → less-suited individuals die off while the best adapted survive.
Craft Unionism → A union formed by workers in the whole company - from the janitor all the way up to an engineer.