5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Triangle Shirtwaist Factory
- Eugene V. Debs
- Uriah Stephens
- a an economic and political system based on government control of business and property and equal distribution of wealth
- b March 25th, 1911 - A factory in NY that started on fire killing 146 women - this highlighted the poor working conditions of women during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
- c founder of the Knights of Labor
- d Founded the American Railway Union
- e Colored National Labor Union - admitted African Americans to the union
5 Multiple choice questions
- Act passed by Arthur to appoint people to federal jobs through a merit system based on candidate performance based on an exam.
- Japan's government agreed to limit immigrants of unskilled workers to the US in exchange for the repeal of the segregation order that was taking place on the west coast
- became president and tried to get congressional support for civil service laws
- National Labor Union - the first large scale national organization formed by William H. Sylvis
- Built the first skyscraper. It was his ten-story Home Insurance Building (1885) in Chicago.
5 True/False questions
Social Darwinism → Grew out of Charles Darwin's theory of biological evolution.
The Great Strike of 1877 → a strike involving the B&O RR. President Hayes had to intervene sending in federal troops to end the strike
James A. Garfield → French term meaning "allow to do"
Pullman Strike → During a depression Pullman lowered wages in his company but kept the rent in his town the same - which caused people who lived there to go on strike
IWW → a socialist union called the Industrial Workers of the World