5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- transcontinental railroad
- Industrial Unionism
- Granger Laws
- George Westinghouse
- Samuel Gompers
- a A union formed by workers in the whole company - from the janitor all the way up to an engineer.
- b The joining of the Central Pacific and the Union Pacific in Promontory, Utah on May 10, 1869
- c Laws that the grange were trying to get passed. They wanted "to establish maximum freight and passenger rates and prohibit discrimination."
- d inventor who made electricity safer and less expensive
- e Founded the AFL (American Federation of Labor)
5 Multiple choice questions
- a strike involving the B&O RR. President Hayes had to intervene sending in federal troops to end the strike
- George M. Pullman's town where the workers would live. It had apartments, a theater, shops, dentist, doctors... etc.
- less-suited individuals die off while the best adapted survive.
- raised tariffs to their highest level
- Japan's government agreed to limit immigrants of unskilled workers to the US in exchange for the repeal of the segregation order that was taking place on the west coast
5 True/False questions
Chester A. Arthur → Garfield's VP who became president after assassination
Social Darwinism → an economic and political system based on government control of business and property and equal distribution of wealth
Andrew Carnegie → Social organization of farmers
Sherman Antitrust Act → made it illegal to form a trust that interfered with free trade between states or with other countries.
Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 → raised tariffs to their highest level