5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Captain of Industry
- Granger Laws
- J.P. Morgan
- RR's impact on cities
- Titusville, Pennsylvania
- a Very successful with his holding company
- b This is the location where Edwin L. Drake first used the steam engine to drill for oil
- c Allowed for cities to begin producing one thing (example I used in class: Forest City has Winnebago and it produces mobile homes)
- d Laws that the grange were trying to get passed. They wanted "to establish maximum freight and passenger rates and prohibit discrimination."
- e a business leader whose means of amassing a personal fortune contributes positively to the country in some way.
5 Multiple choice questions
- head of the "Tweed Ring" - he was a main contributor to the construction scandal of the NY county courthouse
- Garfield's VP who became president after assassination
- A union formed by workers in the whole company - from the janitor all the way up to an engineer.
- business practice used by Carnegie to buy out all of his suppliers - raw materials like coal and iron mines, ore freighters, and RRs
- immigrate temporarily to earn money and then return home
5 True/False questions
IWW → a socialist union called the Industrial Workers of the World
George M. Pullman → Inventor of the sleeper car
Bessemer Process → There are 24 time zones in the world - 4 in the United States. Central, Pacific, Eastern, and Mountain.
Brooklyn Bridge → Carnegie Steel president who cut wages - leading to The Homestead Strike
On the Origin of Species → Book by Darwin where he talks about how species flourish and pass their traits along to the next generation, while others do no.