GRE 3000 words list 1
Terms in this set (68)
to lower physically;to lower in rank,office,prestige or esteem
to destroy the self-possession or self-confidence of
to become weaker:to decrease in strength
to help,encourage,or support someone in a criminal act
to dislike(sb. or sth.) very much
continuing for a long time:not changing
extremely bad or severe.
very humble:feeling or showing shame.
very weak:lacking courage or strength.
to reject sth. formally
to feel great hatred for sb. or sth.
in a straightforward manner:openly.
to damage sth. by rubbing,grinding or scraping
to end or cancel sth. in a formal and official way.
to fail to do what is required by (sth. such as a responsibility).
to go away or escape from a place secretly.
to go away and take sth. that does not belong to you.
complete and total.
not limited in any way.
having unlimited power.
to make sb. free from guilt,responsibility,etc.
to give forgiveness to (sb. who has sinned)or for (a sin).
1. to choose not to do or have sth.
2. to choose not to vote.
not eating and drinking too much
1. relating to or involving general ideas or qualities rather than specific people
2. of art:expressing ideas and emotions by using elements such as colors and lines without attempting to create a realistic picture
3. a brief written statement of the main points or facts in a longer report,speech,etc.
4. an abstract work of art(such as painting)
5. to make a summary of the main parts of (a report,speech,etc):to make an abstract of sth.
6. to obtain or remove sth. from a source
7. to steal sth.
hard to understand
adj.. extremely silly,foolish,or unreasonable:completely ridiculous
n. the state or condition in which human beings exist in an irrational and meaningless universe and in which human life has no ultimate meaning
to touch along an edge
extremely poor or bad
1. to agree to a request or a demand
2. to enter a high office or position
1. sth added to sth else to make it more useful,attractive,or effective
2. law:sb. who helps another person commit a crime
3. assisting as a subordinate especially:contributing to a crime but not as the chief agent
4. aiding or contributing in a secondary way:supplementary
5. present in a minor amount and not essential as a constituent
an award or an expression of praise
to approach and speak to sb. often in an angry,aggressive or an unwanted way
1. to grow or become attached by accretion
2. to cause to adhere or become attached ; also:accumulate
the highest point of sth
to accept, agree,or allow sth to happen by staying silent or by not arguing
bitter and unpleasant in taste or smell
angry and bitter
keenness and depth of perception,discernment,or discrimination especially in practical matters
1. very serious or dangerous:require serious attention or action
2. having or showing an ability to think clearly and to understand what is not obvious or simple about sth.
3. very strong and sensitive:highly developed
to end sth (such as a meeting or session) for a period of time
1. sth that is joined or added to another thing but is not an essential part of it
2. grammar:a word or phrase (such as an adverb or prepositional phrase)that provides added information about the meaning of a verb in a sentence by expressing a relation of time,place,manner,etc.
3. added or joined in order to be used with sth
4. added to a teaching staff for only a short time or in a lower position than other staff
v.to make up words or music in a performance instead of saying or playing sth that has been planned
spoken,composed, or performed without preparation
1. to speak to sb. in a way that expresses disapproval or criticism
2. to tell or urge sb. to so sth
to praise too much
1. to make (sth such as a food or drink) impure or weaker by adding sth of poor quality
2. being adulterated:spurious
3. tainted with adultery:adulterous
1. to foreshadow vaguely:intimate
2. to suggest,disclose,or outline partially
1. coming from another source and not inherent or innate
2. arising or occurring sporadically or in other than the usual location
1. to turn the mind or attention
2. to call attention in the course of speaking or writing:make reference
friendly and easy to talk to
1. a feeling of closeness and understanding that sb. has for another person because of their similar qualities,ideas, or interests
2. a liking for or an attraction to sth
3. a quality that makes people or things suited to each other
1. to make great or greater:increase, enlarge
2. to make appear great or greater:praise highly
3. to enhance the power, wealth, position, or reputation of
1. to make (an injury, problem, etc.)more serious or severe
2. to make sb. angry:to annoy or bother sb.
1.formed by adding together two or more amounts
2. to join or combine into a single group
3. to equal a specified number or amount
4. n. a total amount
1. to give pain or trouble to:distress
2. to inflict injury on
full of interest or excitement because of sth
a quick and cheerful readiness to do sth
1. a claim that you cannot be guilty of a crime because you were somewhere else when the crime was committed; also : evidence which shows that such a claim is true
2. an excuse for not being somewhere or doing sth
to make sth less severe or strong
1. to arrange things so that they form a line or are in proper position
2. to change sth so that it agrees with or matches sth else
3. to join a group that is supporting or opposing sth
loyalty to a person, country, group, etc.
to make indirect reference broadly:refer
1. to entice by charm or attraction
2. power to attract:a quality that attracts people
1. in the air
2. on top of:above
1. at a distance
2.not involved with or friendly toward other people
3. not involved in or influenced by sth
to unite(two or more things, such as two business) into one thing
to walk slowly in a free and relaxed way
sth extremely pleasing to taste or smell
to make(sth, such as a problem) better, less painful, etc.
1. willing to agree or accept sth that is wanted or asked for
2. able to be controlled, organized, or affected by sth
sth that makes life easier or more pleasant
friendly and pleasant
showing a polite and friendly desire to avoid disagreement and argument
a feeling of friendship:friendly relations between nations or groups