Terms in this set (100)
- very modern
- belonging to a time in the future
e.g: The FUTURISTIC sports stadium is the pride of the city.
- not easily annoyed
- not easily worried
e.g: She is one of those IMPERTURBABLE people who never get angry or upset.
- a person who's from the same country
e.g: Nadal has defeated his COMPATRIOT Federer in the quarter final.
- the fact of floating, being able to float or able to keep things floating
e.g: Salt water has more BUOYANCY than fresh water.
- making somebody/something unable to live or work normally
e.g: His INCAPACITATING injury put him out of contention for the championship.
- to make a list of sth
- to list out sth
e.g: She ENUMERATES the things we need to buy - sugar, tea and sandwiches.
- talking about budget
- when it comes to budget
e.g: BUDGET-WISE, we should stay in a hostel instead of a hotel.
-WISE: relating to a particular thing: Money-wise, food-wise, weather-wise, clothes-wise.
- a person who did a job before somebody else
- thing, such as a machine, that has been followed or replaced by something else
e.g: The new BMW has a more powerful engine than its PREDECESSORS.
- to pull a tree, plant, etc. out of the ground
- to leave a place where you have lived for a long time; to make somebody do this
e.g: She UPROOTED herself, left the farm and moved to London.
e.g: Many fish INGENIOUSLY protect their eggs from predators.
- causing problems instead of solving them
- having opposite effects
e.g: Paying children too much attention when they misbehave can be SELF-DEFEATING.
- to make sth necessary
e.g: Recent financial scandals have NECESSITATED changes in parliamentary procedures.
- making your skin less dry
e.g: If you are worried about wrinkles, use a MOISTURIZING cream everyday.
- to be greater in number than sb/sth
e.g: They lost the battle, despite OUTNUMBERING the enemy by two to one.
- the fact of being frequently away from work or school, especially without good reasons
e.g: Few active steps were taken to measure, understand, or manage the occurrence of ABSENTEEISM.
e.g: The police sergeant grabbed the startled robber and UNCEREMONIOUSLY marched him back inside.
- cannot be replaced
e.g: I'm scanning my grandfather's photos on my computer because it'd be IRREPLACEABLE if anything happened to them.
- without expression or emotion
e.g: She stood there completely EXPRESSIONLESS, so I had no idea at all what she was thinking.
e.g: The news conference was UNSPEAKABLY boring.
- easily influenced and therefore a little naiive
e.g: Advertising is particularly effective on those who are highly SUGGESTIBLE.
- wanted by many people
e.g: At the age of 17 she is already one of Hollywood's most SOUGHT-AFTER actresses.
- if an actor istypecast, he or she is always given the same kind of character to play
e.g: He always gets TYPECAST as the villain.
- able to control others confidently
- showing confident
e.g: Jack strode MASTERFULLY into the room.
- the state of living with another person and having a sexual relationship with them without being married
e.g: On average, not surprisingly marriages last longer and are more stable than unmarried COHABITATION.
- an environmentalist
e.g: Kazumi is an ECO-WARRIOR on a mission to protect the environment.
- having no symptoms
e.g: The majority of infected persons are ASYMPTOMATIC and unaware of their condition.
- an occasion when all the people of a country can vote on an important issue [ON]
e.g: Despite opposition from Kiev and the West, Crimea moved forward with a REFERENDUM in which voters overwhelmingly backed seceding from Ukraine and joining Russia.
- unwilling to take risks
e.g: Australian voters are naturally RISK-AVERSE and will not run headlong into a change of government.
- to make sb feel guilty in order to do sth
e.g: He's just trying to GUILT-TRIP you INTO paying him more.
- in the air
e.g: The pilot did manage to get the plane AIRBORNE.
e.g: He was still rumbling DISCONTENTEDLY when Pile returned home bearing a folder of foolscap sheets.
- showing signs of developing into a cancer
e.g: PRECANCEROUS conditions can be diagnosed from the early stage.
- unable to leave your home, especially because you are ill
e.g: I've finally figured out why soap operas are, and logically should be, so popular with generations of HOUSEBOUND people who are too old to go out.
- in a safe condition to drive
e.g: Dozens of police motorcycles have been taken off the road in London after routine inspections found them not to be ROADWORTHY.
- (of person or skin) rough and damaged because the person spends a lot of time outside
e.g: The boat had been freshly repainted in bright colors for the occasion, and beside it stood 5 sinewy WEATHER-BEATEN sailors.
- looking clean, neat and carefully dressed
e.g: The two-year course in art and design has turned in into a WELL-GROOMED young man.
- not becoming involved
e.g: I had no choice but to cut back to HANDS-OFF style - getting involved in exceptions only.
e.g: The boats surrounded the whales, drove them into nets, where they became ENMESHED and were rendered helplessly by harpoon thrusts.
- spending a lot of money
e.g: The economy appears to have begun recovering, but businesses don't expect customers to return to SPENDTHRIFT ways anytime soon.
- the state of being ready or willing to do something
e.g: I was surprised by his PREPAREDNESS to break the law.
- being friendly as a neighbor
e.g: It was very NEIGHBORLY of them to call around and ask if we wanted help moving furniture.
- easy to understand and not needing any more explanation
e.g: The printed instructions are quote SELF-EXPLANATORY. There's no need for me to further explain anything.
- relating to discipline
e.g: The committee members promised that appropriate DISCIPLINARY measures would be taken against the offenders.
e.g: I have an INCONSIDERATE neighbor who plays loud music late at night.
- living in water that's not salty
e.g: FRESHWATER fish always live in lakes and rivers.
- a person who likes chocolate very much and eats a lot of it
e.g: James is a CHOCOHOLIC. He eats chocolate as a hobby.
- a type of society in which women have most of the authority and power, or a society in which property belongs to women and is given to children by women rather than men
e.g: In MATRIARCHY, descent and relationship are determined through the female line.
Điện tâm đồ.
e.g: Impedance CARDIOGRAPH is a plethysmography technique of using sensors to detect the properties of the blood flow in the thorax.
Ca mổ ruột thừa.
e.g: Last year I had an APPENDECTOMY.
- equally far or close
e.g: My house is EQUIDISTANT from the two pubs in the village.
FEET FIRST (adv)
- with your feet touching the ground before any other part of your body
e.g: When gorillas descend, they do so FEET FIRST, lowering themselves with their arms.
- very upset, depressed
e.g: The unresponsive audience made the lecturer somewhat DISHEARTENED.
- the fact of not appearing
e.g: They won the case because of the NON-APPEARANCE of the defendant.
- the fact of managing a business or an organization in a bad or dishonest way
e.g: He accused the local authority of MALADMINISTRATION.
- unable to move
e.g: I want to make sure all my dependants will be financially secure if I'm INCAPACITATED in any way.
Hợp pháp hóa.
- to make sth legal
- to stop sth from being illegal
e.g: I really believe that it would be a major mistake to DECRIMINALIZE any drugs that are currently illegal.
- cannot be governed
e.g: There is so much fight between rival groups that the country has become practically UNGOVERNABLE.
e.g: I was a bit DEMORALIZED by my performance in he first exam, but I decided to make extra effort in the ones left.
- an unenviable duty or necessary action is unpleasant or difficult
e.g: She was given the UNENVIABLE task of informing the losers.
- a disappointing end to an exciting or impressive series of events
e.g: Travelling in Europe was something of an ANTICLIMAX after years he had spent in Africa.
Vô căn cứ.
- unconfirmed, unsupported, unverified
e.g: The rumors are completely UNSUBSTANTIATED and I would urge everyone not to believe them.
- to divide something among people
- to give a share of something to somebody
e.g: Don't you think it is a bit early to APPORTION blame? (= đổ lỗi)
- to cause someone to experience something, usually an emotion or a pain, less strongly than before
e.g: Some analysis worry that violence on TV might DESENSITIZE children to violence in real life.
- the act of unfairly treating one person better than others because you like them better
e.g: No FAVORITISM is practiced in this company. All staff work their way up based on meritocracy.
e.g: Despite the setbacks he faced, he remained a man of remarkable BUOYANCY.
- filled with feelings of admiration or respect
e.g: AWESTRUCK fans crowd near the stage the moment the pop star appears.
- clever and wise but sometimes difficult to understand
e.g: Jeff is always coming up with GNOMIC utterances that do make any sense.
GNOME (n) châm ngôn.
- to enjoy oneself in a luxurious way
e.g: To pamper herself after a hard day's work. Jane decided to LUXURIATE in a hot spa.
- difficult to measure or understand
e.g: The impact of this oil spillage on the environment is IMPONDERABLE.
Lính dự bị.
e.g: Jack has been called away as a RESERVIST ever since the war started.
- without thinking carefully before doing something
e.g: The government is taking care not to rush HEADLONG into another controversy.
- without being aware of
e.g: SUBCONSCIOUSLY, she was looking for the father she had never known.
- the state of being confidential
e.g: All letters will be treated with complete CONFIDENTIALITY.
- the quality or state of being uniform
- the state of being equal
e.g: They tried to ensure UNIFORMITY across different departments.
- not habitable
e.g: The building did not fit to live in. It was totally UNINHABITABLE.
- the fact of continuing sth
e.g: This year saw a CONTINUATION in the upward trend in sales.
e.g: "Have you got any MISGIVINGS about the cooperation?" "Oh no, I'm sure it will be successful".
- based on knowledge from books
e.g: Mary has no practical experience of treating sick animals. She only has BOOKISH knowledge of the subject.
e.g: Next week, the Sunday mass will be held to COMMEMORATE the victim of the holocaust.
- a fault in somebody's character, a plan, a system, etc.
e.g: That bicycle lacks a few spokes in the wheels, but I think you can ignore such a minor SHORTCOMING and buy it at the low cost offered.
e.g: "Where's Peter?" "I suppose he is outside in the BACKYARD".
- not endurable
e.g: The pain became UNENDURABLE during the night, so I called the doctor.
- to bring animals or plants under human control in order to provide food, power, or company
e.g: Cattle and chickens are DOMESTICATED animals.
- not imaginable
e.g: The prize he has won is simply UNIMAGINABLE. I can't think what he is going to do with such a lot of money.
e.g: It's Frank's OBSTINACY that drives his parents crazy.
- very determined to do what you want without listening to others
e.g: I've tried to advise my daughter against hitch-hiking, but she's so HEADSTRONG.
Thuật ngữ kĩ thuật.
- the small details of how to do something or how something works
e.g: This book is full of TECHNICALITIES.
e.g: He must be drunk. He's making NONSENSICAL remarks.
Start ANEW = start AFRESH.
e.g: I'm going to quit my job, move abroad and start completely ANEW.
- a person who was in prison
e.g: Hundred of unemployed EXPRISONERS could be pushed back toward crime by the closure of job training programs.
Sự công nhận.
e.g: The private school feared losing its ACCREDITATION with the state's university system.
- harmful [TO]
e.g: The newspaper report before the trial may have had a PREJUDICIAL effect on the verdict.
- having a strong desire for the things that other people have
e.g: Nick gazed COVETOUSLY at his neighbor's shining motorbike.
- unwilling to stop opposing somebody/something
- cannot be changed
e.g: Our local Member of Parliament is an IMPLACABLE opponent of all plans to extend the city.
Sự nhẹ dạ.
e.g: FICKLENESS is sometimes said to be more characteristic of women than men but I think that this is a false stereotype.
- the use of natural oils that smell sweet for controlling pain or for rubbing into the body during massage
e.g: Nowadays a lot of people prefer alternative medicine systems, such as acupuncture, AROMATHERAPY.
- If something bad is symptomatic OF something else, it is caused by the other thing and is proof that it exists
e.g: This behavior is SYMPTOMATIC OF his general lack of self-confidence.
- belonging to mammals
e.g: Dolphins, MAMMALIAN species, give birth to one calf every two years.
Đạo đức giả.
- behaviour in which somebody pretends to have moral standards or opinions that they do not actually have
e.g: I think it's sheer HYPOCRISY to get married in church if you don't believe in God.
- a road built around a town or village so that traffic does not need to travel through it
e.g: The new BYPASS has certainly made things a lot easier in the town centre since it has taken away all the through traffic.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
vocabulary from Suits or
Magoosh Vocab Basic
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
I Need You By My Side
Movies - The Great Gatsby/Gone Girl
Movies - Beautiful Creatures
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Vocabulary for Examination - Sentence Transformation 11
Vocabulary for Examination - Sentence Transformation 1-9 Combo
Vocabulary for Examination - Sentence Transformation 2
Vocabulary for Examination - Sentence Transformation 8