5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- gene locus
- S phase
- homologous chromosomes
- alternation of generations
- a The synthesis phase of the cell cycle; the portion of interphase during which DNA is replicated.
- b specific location of a gene on a chromosome
- c A pair of chromosomes of the same length, centromere position, and staining pattern that possess genes for the same characters at corresponding loci. One is inherited from the organism's father, the other from the mother.
- d The genetic material of an organism or virus; the complete complement of an organism's or virus's genes along with its noncoding nucleic acid sequences.
- e A life cycle in which there is both a multicellular diploid form, the sporophyte, and a multicellular haploid form, the gametophyte; characteristic of plants and some algae.
5 Multiple choice questions
- in a duplicated chromosome, the region on each sister chromatid where they are most closely attached to each other by proteins that bind to specific DNA sequences; this close attachment causes a constriction in the condensed chromosome.
- Any cell in a multicellular organism except a sperm or egg or their precursors.
- A method of asexual reproduction by "division in half." In prokaryotes, it does not involve mitosis, but in single-celled eukaryotes that undergo this, mitosis is part of the process.
- The diploid cell produced by the union of haploid gametes during fertilization; a fertilized egg
- A cell containing two sets of chromosomes (2n), one set inherited from each parent.
5 True/False questions
density dependent inhibition → The phenomenon observed in normal animal cells that causes them to stop dividing when they come into contact with one another.
metastasis → A process of nuclear division in eukaryotic cells conventionally divided into five stages: prophase, prometaphase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase. conserves chromosome number by allocating replicated chromosomes equally to each of the daughter nuclei.
mitosis → A modified type of cell division in sexually reproducing organisms consisting of two rounds of cell division but only one round of DNA replication. It results in cells with half the number of chromosome sets as the original cell.
cell cycle → An ordered sequence of events in the life of a cell, from its origin in the division of a parent cell until its own division into two. The eukaryotic is composed of interphase (including GG1, S, and GG2 subphases) and M phase (including mitosis and cytokinesis).
kinetochore → In organisms (plants and some algae) that have alternation of generations, the multicellular haploid form that produces haploid gametes by mitosis. The haploid gametes unite and develop into sporophytes.