5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Insular cases
- Dominican Republic
- De Lome Letter
- James G. Blaine
- a The 1884 nomination for the Rebublican presidential candidate
- b In 1905, the U.S. imposed financial restrictions upon this Caribbean nation. Part of making sure Latin America traded with the U.S. and not Europe.
- c Written by the Spanish minister in Washington, Dupuy de Lôme, it was stolen from the mail and delivered to Hearst. He had called McKinley weak and bitter. It was played up by the yellow journalists.
- d In the 1920's, China wated an end to the exemption of foreigners accused of crimes from China's legal jurisdiction.
- e Determined that inhabitants of U.S. territories had some, but not all, of the rights of U.S. citizens.
5 Multiple choice questions
- did not want to forcibly annex Hawaii, so he waited five years to do so. McKinley finally did it, felt the annexation overstepped the federal government's power.
- Queen of Hawaii who gave the U.S. naval rights to Pearl Harbor in 1887. Deposed by American settlers in 1893.
- 1917, Lessened the tension in the feuds between the U.S. and Japan by recognizing Japan's sphere of influence in China in exchange for Japan's continued recognition of the Open Door policy in China.
- United States political figure who served as Secretary of the Navy from 1889 through 1893, during the administration of U.S. President Benjamin Harrison.
- 1906 - Relations between U.S. and Canada including a reciprocal trade agreement. Tight relations made the U.S. and Canada a "Colossus."
5 True/False questions
Walter Reed → Discovered that the mosquito transmitted yellow fever and developed a cure. Yellow fever was the leading cause of death of American troops in the Spanish-American War.
Philippines, Guam, Puerto Rico, Cuba → The U.S. acquired these territories from Spain through the Treaty of Paris (1898), which ended the Spanish-American War.
Roosevelt's Big Stick Diplomacy → Roosevelt said, "walk softly and carry a big stick." In international affairs, ask first but bring along a big army to help convince them. Threaten to use force, act as international policemen. It was his foreign policy in Latin America.
Annexation of Hawaii → By the late 1800s, U.S. had exclusive use of Pearl Harbor. In July 1898, Congress made it a U.S. territory, for the use of the islands as naval ports
Alfred Mahan → Secretary of State, created the Open Door Notes