5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Annexation of Hawaii
- Democracy, efficiency, pragmatism
- Most Favored Nation Clause
- Hay-Bunau-Varilla Treaty
- a February 15, 1898 - An explosion from a mine in the Bay of Havanna crippled the warship Maine. The U.S. blamed Spain for the incident and used it as an excuse to go to war with Spain.
- b 1903 - U.S. guaranteed the independence of the newly-created Republic of Panama.
- c Part of RTA Act in 1834, allowed a nation to make a special agreement with another nation and give them a preferential low tariff rate.
- d By the late 1800s, U.S. had exclusive use of Pearl Harbor. In July 1898, Congress made it a U.S. territory, for the use of the islands as naval ports
- e Three characteristics that the U.S. felt made them superior to other countries. Many U.S. cities in the 1900 to 1920 instituted modern "scientific" political systems, such as the use of professional city managers, to replace inefficient traditional machine politics. The U.S. tried to spread there ideas abroad.
5 Multiple choice questions
- gave the US Guam, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Philippines, after ending the Spanish-American war.
- In charge of the navy when the Maine crisis occurred, he had rebuilt the navy and tried to start a war with Cuba.
- led a Filipino insurrection against the Spanish in 1896 and assisted the U.S. invasion. He served as leader of the provisional government but was removed by the U.S. because he wanted to make the Philippines independent before the U.S. felt it was ready for independence.
- a note asking nations to offer assurance that they would respect the principle of equal trade opportunities, specifically in the China market.
- Written by the Spanish minister in Washington, Dupuy de Lôme, it was stolen from the mail and delivered to Hearst. He had called McKinley weak and bitter. It was played up by the yellow journalists.
5 True/False questions
Drago Doctrine → February 15, 1898 - An explosion from a mine in the Bay of Havanna crippled the warship Maine. The U.S. blamed Spain for the incident and used it as an excuse to go to war with Spain.
Elihu Root → Secretary of War under Roosevelt, he reorganized and monderized the U.S. Army. Later served as ambassador for the U.S. and won the 1912 Nobel Peace Prize.
"Colossus of the North" → the U.S. mediated the end of the war. Negotiating the treaty in the U.S. increased U.S. prestige. Roosevelt received a Nobel Peace Prize for the mediation.
Lansing-Ishii Agreement → 1917, Lessened the tension in the feuds between the U.S. and Japan by recognizing Japan's sphere of influence in China in exchange for Japan's continued recognition of the Open Door policy in China.
Panama Revolution → stated that events in the Americans affected the U.S. and we thus had reason to intervene.