5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- During the nineteenth century, concert life began to center in the:
- Tchaikovsky's fanciful ballet about a child's Christmas gift and dreams of exotic people and places is:
- What is the principal element of a fugue?
- Wagner called his operas:
- The group of early Baroque writers, artists, and musicians whose aim was to resurrect the musical drama of ancient Greece was known as:
- a Counterpoint.
- b The Florentine Camerata.
- c Public concert hall.
- d Music dramas.
- e The Nutcracker.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Camptown Races.
- New Orleans
- Opera buffa.
5 True/False questions
Which of the following does NOT characterize the music for Act III, scene 1 of Die Walkure? → Subordinate orchestral role.
Total abandonment of tonality (centering in a key). Atonal music moves from one level of dissonance to another, without areas of relaxation. → Atonality.
What happened at the premiere of The Rite of Spring in Paris, 1913? → New Orleans
What scene is depicted in Smetana's The Moldau? → A peasant wedding, nymphs in the moonlight, and patriotic castles.
Who was Haydn's principal patron? → Prince Esterhazy.