5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is the scientific meaning of the word "work"?
- Whats a wheel and axle?
- what is a machine's mechanical advantage? if i say a machine has a mechanical advantage of 20, what does that mean?
- example of a wheel and axle.
- what is a machine?
- a turn a door knob (the wheel) the axle moves, to unfasten the door.
- b it means that the machine multiplies the force you put into it twenty times. so, if the machine multiplies the force by 20, you would only have to put in a small amount of force to do a large amount of work.
- c a device that helps make work easier by changing the size or direction of a force.
- d Work happens when a force causes an object to move in the same direction of that force.
- e a simple machine that is made of a circular object connected to a rod.
5 Multiple choice questions
- P=W / T, the unit Watts
- a double inclined plane that moves.
- pushing a piece of heavy furniture up a ramp requires less input force, from you, than just lifting it up.
- No. you are doing work on it when you pick it up, b/c when you pick it up, the direction of the movement of the object is the same as the direction of the force you are putting on it.
- a machine made of two or more simple machines. example: scissors, can openers
5 True/False questions
What is an inclined plane? → a simple machine with a straight, slanted surface.
What is "power", scientifically speaking? → the rate at which work is done.
^ <--- Doing work? → Yes
What is a pulley? → simple machine that is made of a wheel with a groove in it and a rope. it is usually used to life heavy objects.
What is the fulcrum of a lever? → P=W / T, the unit Watts