5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Whats a wheel and axle?
- What is an inclined plane?
- If machines do not reduce the amount of work being done, how do they help us?
- What is the formula for power?
- if you throw a ball, are you doing work? Explain.
- a you are only doing work on the ball as long as you are directly putting a force on it, in other words, when you are touching it.
- b a simple machine that is made of a circular object connected to a rod.
- c a simple machine with a straight, slanted surface.
- d P=W / T, the unit Watts
- e Machines can change the size of the input force necessry. Also, they can change the direction of the force, which is especially helpfulo when we are trying to life somthing.
5 Multiple choice questions
- a simple machine that has a fulcrum, or pivot point.
- pushing a piece of heavy furniture up a ramp requires less input force, from you, than just lifting it up.
- the rate at which work is done.
- simple machine that is made of a wheel with a groove in it and a rope. it is usually used to life heavy objects.
- turn a door knob (the wheel) the axle moves, to unfasten the door.
5 True/False questions
What are compound machines? → a device that helps make work easier by changing the size or direction of a force.
does a machine reduce the amount of work that is being done? Explain. → Machines can change the size of the input force necessry. Also, they can change the direction of the force, which is especially helpfulo when we are trying to life somthing.
What is the fulcrum of a lever? → P=W / T, the unit Watts
what is a machine's mechanical advantage? if i say a machine has a mechanical advantage of 20, what does that mean? → it means that the machine multiplies the force you put into it twenty times. so, if the machine multiplies the force by 20, you would only have to put in a small amount of force to do a large amount of work.
if you are pushing against a wall, are you doing work? explain. → No. work is only done when the object moves. if the object doesnt move, no matter how much force you put on it, it isnt work.