5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Justification by Faith Alone
- Ulrich Zwingli
- Scottish Reformation
- a After they were forced to separate from the Church of England, Anglicans adopted this name in America, yet still lost their place as the power church of the south
- b John Knox had brought Calvinism to Scotland from Switzerland, formed the national Presbyterian Church, named for the presbyters.
- c Swiss theologian whose sermons began the Reformation in Switzerland (1484-1531)
- d Lutheran belief that faith is the way to salvation
- e Dutch hereditary chief excecutive; A hereditary chief executor over provinces in Holland. Ex: William III of Orange (1650-1702)
5 Multiple choice questions
- Form of Protestantism set up in England after 1534; established by Henry VIII with himself as head, at least in part to obtain a divorce from his first wife; became increasingly Protestant following Henry's death
- 1525, peasants revolted because they thought that the nobles were unjust: taking land, making peasants give up animals, etc., said that the scriptures supported them and that Luther could vouch for them. Luther didn't want the revolt, didn't think scriptures supported, didn't want to oppose secular legal powers, etc.
- The reason Henry IV gave when he converted to Catholicism
- the Roman Catholic doctrine that the whole substance of the bread and the wine changes into the substance of the body and blood of Christ when consecrated in the Eucharist
- prolific Flemish baroque painter, Italian sculptor and architect of the Baroque period in Italy
5 True/False questions
Sir Francis Drake → English explorer and admiral who was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe and who helped to defeat the Spanish Armada (1540-1596)
Michael Servetus → Holy Roman emperor (1519-1558) and king of Spain as Charles I (1516-1556). He summoned the Diet of Worms (1521) and the Council of Trent (1545-1563).
Ten Articles → This made mild concessions to Protestant tenets, otherwise maintaining Catholic doctrine in England.
Catherine of Aragon → first wife of Henry VIII
Diet of Worms → Assembly of the estates of the empire, called by Holy Roman Emperor Charles V in 1521. Luther was ordered to recant but he refused. Charles V declared Luther an outlaw.