5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Schmalkaldic League
- Diet of Worms
- Duke of Alba
- William Shakespeare
- a English poet and dramatist considered one of the greatest English writers (1564-1616)
- b wrote the Book of Common Prayer
- c Assembly of the estates of the empire, called by Holy Roman Emperor Charles V in 1521. Luther was ordered to recant but he refused. Charles V declared Luther an outlaw.
- d hated man by the Netherlands; chosen by Philip II to suppress the revolt in the Netherlands
- e protestant alliance formed by Lutherans against the Holy Roman Empire
5 Multiple choice questions
- a monastery, convent, or other place where one may follow a quiet religious way of life
- The reason Henry IV gave when he converted to Catholicism
- English explorer and admiral who was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe and who helped to defeat the Spanish Armada (1540-1596)
- This made mild concessions to Protestant tenets, otherwise maintaining Catholic doctrine in England.
- Big debate held by Luther.
Ulrich Zwingli - Swiss, one of the first Protestant teachers. Believed that the bread and wine was figurative.
Luther - bread and wine is Jesus
Catholic church - priest necessary for the miracle.
Luther taught that Ulrich was in error.
5 True/False questions
30 Years' War → a Roman Catholic order founded by Saint Ignatius of Loyola in 1534 to defend Catholicism against the Reformation and to do missionary work among the heathen
Guise Family → French family who worked to control Francis II. Family members were members of government and religion such as Duke and Cardinals. The family was known for being militants
Predestination → After they were forced to separate from the Church of England, Anglicans adopted this name in America, yet still lost their place as the power church of the south
Catholic League → Holy Roman emperor (1519-1558) and king of Spain as Charles I (1516-1556). He summoned the Diet of Worms (1521) and the Council of Trent (1545-1563).
Bourbon Family → powerful French family
supported Huguenots and created a Protestant resistance to Catholic rule of France