5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Chinese Exclusion Act
- The Declaration of Independence
- Struggles of Immigrants
- Interstate Commerce Act
- Booker T. Washington
- a (1882) Denied any additional Chinese laborers to enter the country while allowing students and merchants to immigrate.
- b Passed in 1887, this act reestablished the federal government's right to supervise railroad activities.
- c Prominent black American, born into slavery, who believed that racism would end once blacks acquired useful labor skills and proved their economic value to society, was head of the Tuskegee Institute in 1881. His book "Up from Slavery."
- d *Written by Thomas Jefferson and signed in 1776
*Originally included a clause allowing the freeing of slaves, but it was cut out
*A call for all humankind to throw off tyranny and form a government of the people
*Lays the foundation for our herritage of individual liberty and natural rights
*A list of complaints about King George's treatment of the colinsts,
- e Many nativists discriminated against immigants. They had to live in poor crowded tenements,work long hours at factories and couldn't afford to send let their children finish school.
5 Multiple choice questions
- individualism: the doctrine that government should not interfere in commercial affairs
- Gave African American men the right to vote, this made women upset because they can't vote
- Supreme Court case which ruled that slaves are not citizens but are property, affirmed that property cannot be interfered with by Congress, slaves do not become free if they travel to free territories or states, fueled abolitionist movement, hailed as victory for the south
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, founded in 1909 to work for racial equality
- Cheap products shipped to other countries from the US made their economies fail.
5 True/False questions
Why the Constitution is considered a "Living Constitution" → It can adapt and be flexible as necessary, adding and cutting out parts that don't apply.
Emancipation Proclaimation → Issued by Abraham Lincoln on September 22, 1862, it declared that all slaves in the rebellious Confederate states would be free.
Causes and effects of the Revolutionary War → King George unfairly taxed citizens and took advantage of their distance. He believed that he should make decisions for the colonists even though he didn't know what was best for them.
After America gained independence, Thomas Jefferson, along with others, wrote the Declaration of Independence in 1776.
Causes of Industrial Revolution → Process of assimilating immigrants into American culture by teaching English, American history, and citizenship
Angel Island → Inspection station for immigrants arriving on the East Coast