5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Describe a "Circular Rural Settlement" and a "Linear Rural Settlement"
- Name 3 types of services one might find in the CBD of a city or settlement
- What is meant by the "Hierarchy of Services"?
- What is the "Rank-Size Rule"?
- Give 3 reasons why manufacturing has declined in the CBD
- a Small settlements are limited to consumer services that have small thresholds, short ranges and small market areas. A business cannot manage in a place where it cannot be supported.
- b The typical modern industry requires a large percent of land for operation
Transformed their waterfronts from industry to commercial and recreational activities
- c The circular form consists of a central open space surrounded by structures
Linear rural settlements feature buildings clustered along a road, river or dike to facilitate communications
- d -Shops with....high threshold, long range, that serve people who work in the center
- e In whihc the country's nth-largest settlement is 1/2 the population of the largest settlement. Serveral MDCs in Europe
5 Multiple choice questions
- Basic industries-is a settlements distinctive economic structure derives which export primarily to consumers outside of the settlement
Non-basic industires are enterprises whose customers live in the same community, essentially consumer services
- The best location is the one that minimizes the distance to the service for the largest number of people
- They provide goods for sale to consumers
- -1750 through 1850 in Great Britain
-To improve agricultural production, a number of European countries converted their rurals landscapes from clustered settlements to dispersed patterns
- A permanent collection of buildings where people reside, work and obtain services
5 True/False questions
What is a "Market Area of a Service"? → They provide goods for sale to consumers
Name 3 reasns why businesses have moved to the suburbs since WWII → -Less transportation
-Able to improve
-Cheaper to maintain
What 2 factors are needed to determine the extent of a market area? → Its range and its threshold
Name 4 services that have a "High Threshold" → -expenisve shops -movie theaters -restaurants -theme parks
Define "World City" and give 3 examples. → Wrold citites are most closely integrated into the global economic system because they are the center of the flow of information and capitol
-London -New York -Tokoyo