5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Nationalism, Imperialism, Militarism, Alliances
- a group of Germanic people who rose to prominence under the leadership of King Clovis
- b Eastern Roman emperor who tried to restore unity of the old Roman Empire; known for issuing Justinian's Code; built the Hagia Sophia
- c Muhammad's flight from Mecca to Medina in A. D. 622; this event marks the beginning of the Muslim calendar
- d 4 underlying causes of WWI
- e Branch of Islam formed in the AD 600s that believed only imams should decide religious and worldly matters
5 Multiple choice questions
- Frankish King who defeated muslims in battle of tours in 751 and ended muslim threat to western europe
- King of England who dismissed Parliament, and caused unrest in England. Was
eventually captured and beheaded by English revolutionaries, and replaced by Oliver Cromwell.
- the essential duties of Muslims must fulfill; faith, prayer, alms, fasting and pilgrimage
- first caliph after death of muhammad
- This was an artist who led the way for Renaissance masters from his David sculpture and his painting of the Sistine Chapel ceiling
5 True/False questions
William Shakespeare → English poet and dramatist considered one of the greatest English writers (1564-1616)
King Henry VIII → King of France from 1774 to 1792; his unpopular policies helped trigger the French Revolution. In 1789 he summoned the Estates-General, but he did not grant the reforms that were demanded and revolution followed. Louis and his queen, Marie Antoinette, were executed in 1793.
Iliad → a Greek epic poem (attributed to Homer) describing the siege of Troy
Vassal → Islam's holiest shrine, located in Mecca
Treaty of Versailles → Treaty that ended WW I. It blamed Germany for WW I and handed down harsh punishment.