5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Pope Leo X
- a Process where by the Church excommunicates an entire region
- b Pope known primarily for the sale of indulgences to reconstruct St. Peter's Basilica and his challenging of Luther's 95 Theses.
- c Muslim navigational instrument that helped exploration by helping sailors find latitude and longitude
- d a series of military expeditions in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries by Westrn European Christians to reclain control of the Holy Lands from the Muslims
- e Document purchased for forgiveness of one's sins provided by the medieval Church, and one of the causes of the Reformation.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The application of machinery to manufacturing and other activities. Among the first processes to be mechanized were the spinning of cotton thread and the weaving of cloth in late-eighteenth- and early-nineteenth-century England.
- Conquered England in 1066
- Spanish conquistador who defeated the Aztecs and conquered Mexico (1485-1547)
- Overthrew French Directory in 1799 and became emperor of the French in 1804. Failed to defeat Great Britain and abdicated in 1814. Returned to power briefly in 1815 but was defeated and died in exile.
- Portuguese explorer who in 1488 led the first expedition to sail around the southern tip of Africa from the Atlantic and sight the Indian Ocean
5 True/False questions
Sacraments → a large hill in ancient Greece where city residents sought shelter and safety in times of war and met to discuss community affairs
Henry Bessemer → a Greek epic poem (attributed to Homer) describing the journey of Odysseus after the fall of Troy
Protestant → Members of the lower class of Ancient Rome including farmers, merchants, artisans and traders
Leonardo da Vinci → Portuguese explorer. In 1497-1498 he led the first naval expedition from Europe to sail to India.
Nicolaus Copernicus → Polish Astronomer; Proposed the heliocentric theory that put the sun in the center of the earth with the planets traveling around the sun.