5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Henry Bessemer
- Cecil Rhodes
- King Leopold II
- a Developed a new method for making steel that allowed manufacturers to make steel much cheaper than ever before.
- b large estates owned by the wealthy Romans
- c King of Belgium (r. 1865-1909). He was active in encouraging the exploration of Central Africa and became the infamous ruler of the Congo Free State (to 1908).
- d British entrepreneur and politician involved in the expansion of the British Empire from South Africa into Central Africa. The colonies of Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) were named after him.
- e person granted land from a lord in return for services
5 Multiple choice questions
- production of goods in a factory through the use of machines and a large number of workers
- "Duty" of Europeans to spread Christianity and Western Civilization to non Europeans.
- 4 underlying causes of WWI
- King of France, ruled for 72 years, built the palace of Versailles, absolute monarch, believed in the divine right of kings (L'etat, c'est moi), The "Sun King"
- ancient Greek epic poet who is believed to have written the Iliad and the Odyssey (circa 850 BC)
5 True/False questions
Manifest Destiny → Philosophy that the United States is a superior nation that should extend its boarders from sea to sea and expand its influence around the world.
Jihad → a Greek epic poem (attributed to Homer) describing the siege of Troy
Frederick the Wise → belief in many gods
Patriotism → The love of one's country; the passion that inspires a person to serve his or her country. American term for Nationalism.
Committee of Public Safety → Italian navigator who discovered the New World in the service of Spain while looking for a route to China.