5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Starting in the late 700s, which group attacked Western Europe from the sea and broke the last threads of unity in Charlemagne's empire?
- Newcomers to a medieval city often settled in the fields outside the city walls because
- Pope Leo III proclaimed Charlemagne to be Emperor of the Romans because Charlemagne had
- a A poet or musician who traveled around and entertained people with songs about chivalry and courtly love.
- b the city was overcrowded within the city walls.
- c Vikings
- d a salaried worker in the guild system
- e crushed a rebellion in Rome.
5 Multiple choice questions
- authority over all secular rulers
- King of Franks; conquered Gaul; earned support of Gaul and Church of Rome by converting; Ruled lands in Frankish custom but kept Roman legacy
- an estate granted to a vassal by his lord
- remained on the land to serve the new lord
- stay on the land for life
5 True/False questions
What crop restored fertility to the soil in the three-field system of rotating crops? → Only the church could appoint Church officials such as bishops
To achieve salvation, medieval Christians believed they must → receive the sacraments
Under Benedictine Rule, monks and nuns took vows of → obedience, poverty, and chastity
serf → a person who is bound to the land and owned by the feudal lord
apprentice → a document that set out the rights and privileges of a town