5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Council of Jamnia
- a a term meaning "one who is sent"
- b the group of rabbinical scholars who settled in the costal town of Jamnia shortly before the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70 and helped to standardized the Jewish region
- c a story whose details or actions illustrate or tell about something quite different, each element of an allegory possesses its own distinct meaning
- d the belief that the Christian who has been freed by Christ has no ethical or moral obligations
- e a Roman form of execution in which the victim was nailed or bound to a wooden cross and left to die
5 Multiple choice questions
- an ancient Christian creed expressing belief in God the Father, Son, and Spirit, the church, and the resurrection of the dead.
- an apocalyptic figure, the archenemy of Christ, who will appear shortly before the parousia to wage war against the friends of Christ
- the scientific study of ancient cultures on the basis of their remains, such as fossil relics, artifacts, monuments, pottery, and buildings
- the original manuscript of literary text, from a Greek word meaning "the writing itself"
- a collection of second-century non canonical writings, such as the letters of Ignatius, that do not claim apostolic authorship but were generally accepted as representing apostolic faith
5 True/False questions
A.D. → abbreviation of the Latin Anno Domini, which means "in the year of our Lord" Alternatively, one may speak of C.E. (common era)
cosmos → a term originally applied to a measuring reed, later used of books or writings that became authoritative for early Christians
authentic → the term is applied to writings that are believed to have been written by the person to whom they are traditionally attributed
charisma → the community of believers in Jesus Christ, the term is used of individual congregations and of the entire fellowship of Christians
cult → shortened form of cultus deorum, a Latin phrase that means "care of the gods", used of any set of religious practices of worship