5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Rhetorical shift
- Straw Man
- a A person engaging in an argument defines the opponent's position without them present. Politicians use it a lot
- b Associations or moods with certain words that can either be negative, positive, or neutral. Deals with author's tone and intention to choose certain diction.
- c The reversal of natural order of words in a sentence. "The poisoned apple she ate to her gave cramps of a serious nature."
- d an appeal to emotion
- e Author alters diction, syntax, or both.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Omission of conjunctions from a series of related clauses. "All the orcs ate food, broke the dishes, trashed the hall, beat the dogs to the shower."
- Repetition of word or phrase at beginning of lines, sentences, etc. "I will fight..., I will fight..."
- Words used to express something other than and often the opposite of the literal meaning. Verbal-contrast between what is said and what is meant. Situational-contrast between what happens and what was expected. Dramatic-contrast between what the character thinks and what the reader knows.
- An independent clause followed by all sorts of debris. "She wore yellow ribbon that matched the shingles of the house, which were painted last year, just before he left for the war."
- Own vocabulary or pattern of speech for a particular group
5 True/False questions
Begging the question → Speaker states a claim that includes a word or phrase that needs better definition. "Because of these extreme conditions, I need..." WHAT MAKES THE CONDITIONS EXTREME?!
Participle → A verb that is used as an adjective and ends in -ing or -ed.
Non Sequitur → Unite variety of sources to achieve a common end. Combination of memory, commentary, and discussion to argue a point.
Poisoning the well → Unite variety of sources to achieve a common end. Combination of memory, commentary, and discussion to argue a point.
Predicate Nominative → Adjective that follows a linking verb and modifies the subject of the sentence "the gigantic whirlpool was INKY black"