5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Solar Flare
- Convection Zone
- Solar Wind
- Flares v Prominences?
- a Large explosion on the surface of the sun when hot gas breaks free of the magnetic field
* emits energy
*lasts only seconds, unlike longer prominences (but smaller and more violent)
*can knock out electricity
- b The outward flow of charged particles leaving the Sun
- c Transfers radiation from nuclear fusion outward through CONVECTION
- d Shorter: Flares
More Violent: Flares
- e Total energy radiated by the Sun. NOT BRIGHTNESS!
5 Multiple choice questions
- the Photosphere
- When inward Gravitational Force is balanced by outward Pressure.
*Gravity wants the sun to collapse in
*Pressure from hot gas pulls sun outwards
*True for every star- guarantees stability
- The visible surface of the Sun. Creates visible light!
- Transfers radiation from nuclear fusion outward through RADIATION
- Holes in the corona from which solar wind escapes
5 True/False questions
Chromosphere → Transition from Photosphere to Corona
BELOW the solar surface, in order of increasing depth, lie the ______ zone, the ______ zone, and the ______. → Convection
Solar Storms emit what? → The amount of the Sun's energy reaching earth. "C"
What are spicules? → The visible surface of the Sun. Creates visible light!
Sun Spot Cycle → Cool spots that emerge from beneath the sun's surface.
*appear darker because they are cooler (but are still very hot)
*They are complex and magnetic
*Come and go in pairs
*Linked by magnetic field lines
*Shift polarity every 11 years