5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The most abundant element in the Sun?
- Areas around sun spots are extremely...
- BELOW the solar surface, in order of increasing depth, lie the ______ zone, the ______ zone, and the ______.
- The Sun has a _________ rotation of _____ days
- What do mathematic models provide us with?
- a Hydrogen
- b active!
- c Convection
- d Info of the Sun's interior
- e *differential (inner spins faster than outer)
5 Multiple choice questions
- 11 year period during which the # of sunspots rise and fall
*The high point in the cycle=largest corona
- Field lines twist and break, creating heat as solar storms
- Cool spots that emerge from beneath the sun's surface.
*appear darker because they are cooler (but are still very hot)
*They are complex and magnetic
*Come and go in pairs
*Linked by magnetic field lines
*Shift polarity every 11 years
- The visible surface of the Sun. Creates visible light!
- Transition from Photosphere to Corona
5 True/False questions
Solar Wind → Large explosion on the surface of the sun when hot gas breaks free of the magnetic field
* emits energy
*lasts only seconds, unlike longer prominences (but smaller and more violent)
*can knock out electricity
Spectral Analysis can tell us... → Large solar storms that blast out a cloud of a billion solar wind particles
Which is faster, radiation or convection? → Transfers radiation from nuclear fusion outward through RADIATION
Sun Equilibrium: → The time in the sun spot cycle where there are few (if any) sun spots
Second most abundant element in the Sun ? → Helium