5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Areas around sun spots are extremely...
- Solar Constant
- Sun Spots
- Traveling OUTWARD from the surface, the main regions of the solar atmosphere are the _______, the _______, and the ________.
- Solar Flare
- a Cool spots that emerge from beneath the sun's surface.
*appear darker because they are cooler (but are still very hot)
*They are complex and magnetic
*Come and go in pairs
*Linked by magnetic field lines
*Shift polarity every 11 years
- b active!
- c Chromosphere
- d The amount of the Sun's energy reaching earth. "C"
- e Large explosion on the surface of the sun when hot gas breaks free of the magnetic field
* emits energy
*lasts only seconds, unlike longer prominences (but smaller and more violent)
*can knock out electricity
5 Multiple choice questions
- Where nuclear fusion takes place
- Info of the Sun's interior
- Hydrogen fusion
- The measurement of average kinetic energy in molecules. NOT HEAT!
5 True/False questions
Luminosity → Total energy radiated by the Sun. NOT BRIGHTNESS!
What happens to the Sun's magnetic field lines due to rotation? → Field lines twist and break, creating heat as solar storms
BELOW the solar surface, in order of increasing depth, lie the ______ zone, the ______ zone, and the ______. → Chromosphere
Corona → Hot atmosphere around the Sun
*Visible only during total solar eclipse, when both the photosphere and the chromosphere are obscured by the Moon.
*B/C its so hot, must have internal heat source (electromag interaction?)
Which is faster, radiation or convection? → Transfers radiation from nuclear fusion outward through RADIATION