5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The numbers of sunspots and their activity peak about every:
- Areas around sun spots are extremely...
- Compared to the underlying chromosphere, the temperature of the corona is:
- The Sun has a _________ rotation of _____ days
- What happens to the Sun's magnetic field lines due to rotation?
- a *differential (inner spins faster than outer)
- b Eleven years
- c Much hotter!!
- d Field lines twist and break, creating heat as solar storms
- e active!
5 Multiple choice questions
- Shorter: Flares
More Violent: Flares
- The visible surface of the Sun. Creates visible light!
- Hydrogen fusion
- Large explosion on the surface of the sun when hot gas breaks free of the magnetic field
* emits energy
*lasts only seconds, unlike longer prominences (but smaller and more violent)
*can knock out electricity
- Transfers radiation from nuclear fusion outward through CONVECTION
5 True/False questions
The part of the Sun we actually see is called: → the Photosphere
Traveling OUTWARD from the surface, the main regions of the solar atmosphere are the _______, the _______, and the ________. → Chromosphere
Luminosity → Total energy radiated by the Sun. NOT BRIGHTNESS!
Coronal Holes: → Hot atmosphere around the Sun
*Visible only during total solar eclipse, when both the photosphere and the chromosphere are obscured by the Moon.
*B/C its so hot, must have internal heat source (electromag interaction?)
Sun Equilibrium: → The time in the sun spot cycle where there are few (if any) sun spots