5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The most abundant element in the Sun?
- Sun Spot Cycle
- Areas around sun spots are extremely...
- Sun Equilibrium:
- a When inward Gravitational Force is balanced by outward Pressure.
*Gravity wants the sun to collapse in
*Pressure from hot gas pulls sun outwards
*True for every star- guarantees stability
- b active!
- c Transition from Photosphere to Corona
- d 11 year period during which the # of sunspots rise and fall
*The high point in the cycle=largest corona
- e Hydrogen
5 Multiple choice questions
- Transfers radiation from nuclear fusion outward through RADIATION
- What elements are present, but only in Chromosphere and Photosphere
- Cool spots that emerge from beneath the sun's surface.
*appear darker because they are cooler (but are still very hot)
*They are complex and magnetic
*Come and go in pairs
*Linked by magnetic field lines
*Shift polarity every 11 years
- Because its very large
5 True/False questions
What do mathematic models provide us with? → Info of the Sun's interior
Coronal Mass Ejection → Holes in the corona from which solar wind escapes
Core → Hot atmosphere around the Sun
*Visible only during total solar eclipse, when both the photosphere and the chromosphere are obscured by the Moon.
*B/C its so hot, must have internal heat source (electromag interaction?)
Layers of the Sun? (inner to outer) → Because its very large
What's weird about the temperature of the Sun as you move outward? → The core is super hot, but it gets cooler until you reach the transition zone, where the temperature suddenly increases dramatically!