Upgrade to remove ads
Health - Chapter 3 - Managing Stress
Terms in this set (20)
The response of your body and mind to be challenged or threatened.
An event or situation that causes stress.
An event that threatens lives and may destroy property.
Alarm stage: your heart beats faster, your breathing speeds up, your muscles tense, and you focus on the stressor. You either fight or escape.
You practice an event witthout actually doing it. It takes place in your mind.
Learning to control one or more body functions by monitoring your body's responses. The results are displayed on a monitor.
Tendency to focus on the positive aspects of a situation.
Focusing on the negative and expecting the worst.
A person that accepts nothing less then excellence.
The ability to recover or bounce back from extreme or prolonged stress.
Four types of stressors
1. Major life changes (a new situation)
2. Catastrophes (natural disaster)
3. Everyday problems (hassles); ex. lose your keys, too much hw
4. Environmental problems in your immediate area(noise, live near an airport, high crime area)
What are the 3 stages of stress (body's response)
1. Alarm stage: fight-or-flight response
2. Resistance stage: When the stressor is not resolved. Your body adapts to the stressor. Although it no longer seems like you're stressed, your body is actually using up a lot of energy. You become tired, irritable, and unable to handle additional stress.
3. Exhaustions stage: When the stress continues for a long period of time -- your body can no longer keep up with the demands placed on it and your physical and emotional resources are depleted. (for example, a death in the family)
Warning signs of stress
Stomach aches, asthma, head aches, lowered resistance to disease, and heart disease.
Also known as the "Silent killer"
Key factor in resilience
The support of family and friends are common in people with resilience.
5 steps in managing you time
1. Track how you spend your time.
2. Make a daily "to do" list
3. Prioritize you tasks
4. Plan your day
5. Monitor your progress
2 techniques to keep stress under control
1. Time management
2. Mental rehearsal (practicing in your mind)
3 waya to relieve tension
1. Physical activity (exercise)
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Health Chapter 3 Managing Stress
Pearson Health: Chapter 2 Vocab
Chapter 2: Personality, Self-Esteem, and Emotions
Health Chapter 1 & 2
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
chapter 3 Managing Stress
Health - Chapter 3 Managing Stress
All Vocab and Review Questions for Health Chapter 3
Health Chapter 3
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Civics ch 2 section 3
Unit 4 History test
Normon Test #2
Chemistry Acids And Prefixes (must Memorize)
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Audiology Treatment Exam #1
Enzymes III - Mechanism of Catalysis