Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Macroeconomics 4.2 Studyguide
Terms in this set (17)
1) In a competitive market equilibrium the ________ equals the ________ of the last unit sold.
A) total profit; marginal benefit B) total cost; marginal cost
C) profit; selling price D) marginal benefit; marginal cost
2) When the marginal benefit equals the marginal cost of the last unit sold in a competitive market
A) the net benefit of consumers is equal to the net benefit of producers.
B) an economically efficient level of output is produced.
C) producer surplus is equal to consumer surplus.
D) total benefit is equal to total cost.
11) Deadweight loss refers to
A) the opportunity cost to firms from producing the equilibrium quantity in a competitive
B) the sum of consumer and producer surplus.
C) the loss of economic surplus when the marginal benefit equals the marginal cost of the last
D) the reduction in economic surplus resulting from not being in competitive equilibrium.
12) The sum of consumer surplus and producer surplus is equal to
A) the deadweight loss. B) the economic surplus.
C) zero. D) total profit.
13) Economic surplus is maximized in a competitive market when
A) demand is equal to supply.
B) the deadweight loss equals the sum of consumer surplus and producer surplus.
C) marginal benefit equals marginal cost.
D) producers sell the quantity that consumers are willing to buy.
14) ________ is defined as a market outcome in which the marginal benefit to consumers of the last
unit produced is equal to the marginal cost of production, and in which the sum of consumer
surplus and producer surplus is at a maximum.
A) Economic efficiency B) Consumer efficiency
C) Producer efficiency D) Deadweight efficiency
15) If, in a competitive market, marginal benefit is greater than marginal cost
A) the net benefit to consumers from participating in the market is greater than the net benefit
B) the government must force producers to lower price in order to achieve economic
C) the quantity sold is greater than the equilibrium quantity.
D) the quantity sold is less than the equilibrium quantity
16) In a competitive market the ________ curve shows the marginal benefit received by consumers
and the ________ curve shows the marginal cost to producers.
A) .demand; supply B) supply; demand
C) demand; market demand D) supply; market supply
26) In a competitive market when there is no deadweight loss,
A) consumer surplus is minimized.
B) producer surplus is minimized.
C) consumer surplus plus producer surplus is minimized.
D) consumer surplus plus producer surplus is maximized.
27) Economic efficiency is achieved when there is a market outcome in which the marginal benefit
to consumers of the last unit produced is equal to its marginal cost of production and
A) economic surplus plus consumer surplus equals producer surplus.
B) consumer surplus plus producer surplus is maximized.
C) economic surplus is minimized.
D) the difference between consumer surplus and producer surplus is maximized.
28) There will be no deadweight loss if the marginal benefit to consumers is equal to the marginal
cost of production and the sum of consumer surplus and producer surplus is maximized.
29) If marginal benefit is less than marginal cost, output is inefficiently high.
30) The difference between consumer surplus and producer surplus in a market is equal to the
31) If the market price is at equilibrium, the deadweight loss is zero.
32) Deadweight loss refers to a loss in revenue resulting from producers having to reduce their
selling price to remain competitive.
33) Equilibrium in a competitive market results in the greatest amount of economic surplus from
the production of a good or service.
35) What is meant by the termȱȈeconomic efficiencyȈ?
Answer: Economic efficiency refers to a market outcome in which the marginal benefit to
consumers of the last unit produced is equal to its marginal cost of production and in
which the sum of consumer surplus and producer surplus is at a maximum.
Recommended textbook explanations
Krugman's Economics for AP*
David Anderson, Margaret Ray
Principles of Economics
N. Gregory Mankiw
Principles of Macroeconomics
Ben Bernanke, Robert Frank
Foundations of Microeconomics
Michael Parkin, Robin Bade
Sets found in the same folder
ECON 202 TAMU ONLINE WIGGINS/MEER Module 5
Module 11 Quiz Q's
ECO 336 USM Midterm
Micro Test 2
Sets with similar terms
ECON 202 Module 6.3-6.10 Quizzes Review
Econ 202, section 6.3-6.10
Homework 3 ECO2023 Vocabulary
Econ Ch. 4 Terms
Other sets by this creator
Macroeconomics 4.5 Studyguide
Macroeconomics 4.4 Studyguide
Macroeconomics 4.3 Studyguide
Macroeconomics 4.1 Studyguide
Other Quizlet sets
Ap Biology 3.5 nucleic acids