5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a a chemical change in which a substance combines with oxygen, as when iron oxidizes, forming rust
- b Rich, fertile soil that is made up of about equal parts of clay, sand, and silt.
- c the loose, weathered material on Earth's surface in which plants can grow
- d process in which sediment is laid down in new locations
- e The layer of soil beneath the topsoil that contains mostly clay and other minerals.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Dark-colored organic material in soil.
- earth materials deposited by erosion
- The layer of soil that differs in color and texture from the layers above or below it.
- The breaking down of rocks and other materials on the Earth's surface.
- Soil organism that breaks down the remains of organisms and digests them.
5 True/False questions
erosion → the grinding away of rock by other rock particles carried in water, ice, or wind
permeable → characteristic of a material that is full of tiny, connected air spaces that water can seep through
fertility → The removal of rock particles by wind, water, ice, or gravity
ice wedging → wedges of ice in rocks widen and deepen cracks
litter → the loose layer of dead plant leaves and stems on the surface of the soil