Create an account
1. a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.
2. something that causes activity between two or more persons or forces without itself being affected.
3. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
4. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
1. to abstain from an impulse to say or do something
2. to curb.
3.a phrase or verse recurring at intervals in a song or poem, especially at the end of each stanza; chorus.
4. a. a musical setting for the end of a poem.
c.the principal, recurrent section of a rondo.
1. the art or practice divination.
2. the rite or ceremony of an augur.
3.an omen, token, or indication.
1.characterized by or subject to tempests
2.of the nature of or resembling a tempest
3. tumultuous; turbulent
1. a funeral song or tune, or one expressing mourning in commemoration of the dead.
2. any composition resembling such a song or tune in character, as a poem of lament for the dead or solemn, mournful music
3.a mournful sound resembling this4.the office of the dead, or the funeral service as sung.
1.a stick with a pointed or electrically charged end, for driving cattle, oxen, etc.; prod.
2.anything that pricks or wounds like such a stick.
3.something that encourages, urges, or drives; a stimulus.
4.to prick or drive with, or as if with, a prod; incite
1. thin, tenuous, or rarefied, as a fluid or an odor.
2.fine or delicate in meaning or intent; difficult to perceive or understand
3. delicate or faint and mysterious
4. requiring mental acuteness, penetration, or discernment
5.characterized by mental acuteness or penetration
6. cunning, wily, or crafty
7. insidious in operation
8. skillful, clever, or ingenious
1.to cause or allow (a building, automobile, etc.) to fall into a state of disrepair, as by misuse or neglect (often used passively)
2.to squander; waste.
3.to fall into ruin or decay.
1. to move or go forward or onward, especially after stopping.
2. to carry on or continue any action or process.
3. to go on to do something.
4. to continue one's discourse.
a. to begin and carry on a legal action.
b. to take legal action
6. to be carried on, as an action or process.
7. to go or come forth; issue
8. to arise, originate, or result COLLAPSE
9. a. something that results or accrues.
b. the total amount derived from a sale or other transaction: The proceeds from the deal were divided equally among us.
c. the profits or returns from a sale, investment, etc.
1. sharp or biting to the taste or smell; bitterly pungent; irritating to the eyes, nose, etc.
2. extremely or sharply stinging or bitter; exceedingly caustic
a feeling or impression that something is about to happen, especially something evil; foreboding.
to state or represent less strongly or strikingly than the facts would bear out; set forth in restrained, moderate, or weak terms
1. a visible incorporeal spirit, especially one of a terrifying nature; ghost; phantom; apparition.
2. some object or source of terror or dread
1. to eat or wear away gradually as if by gnawing, especially by chemical action.
2. to impair; deteriorate
1. having the power of producing; generative; creative
2. producing readily or abundantly; fertile
3. causing; bringing about (usually followed by of )
4. producing or tending to produce goods and services having exchange value.
5. readily used in forming new words, as the suffix -ness.
1. to make young again; restore to youthful vigor, appearance, etc.
2. to restore to a former state; make fresh or new again
3. Physical Geography .
a. to renew the activity, erosive power, etc., of (a stream) by uplift or by removal of a barrier in the stream bed.
b. to impress again the characters of youthful topography on (a region) by the action of rejuvenated streams.
1. excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, etc.; conceited
2. proceeding from or showing personal pride
3. ineffectual or unsuccessful; futile
4. without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless
5. senseless or foolish.
6. a. without effect or avail; to no purpose
b. in an improper or irreverent manner
1. a complimentary performance of vocal or instrumental music in the open air at night, as by a lover under the window of his lady.
2. a piece of music suitable for such performance.
3. to entertain with or perform this
1. lacking in vigor or vitality; slack or slow
2. lacking in spirit or interest; listless; indifferent.
3. drooping or flagging from weakness or fatigue; faint.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together