Create an account
What are the critical thinking components of the Nursing Process?
1.Assessment- subj and obj data
2.Nursing Diagnosis- data analysis, problem identification, label
3.Planning- priorities, outcomes, interventions
4.Implementation- nurse-initiated treatments, physician-initiated treatments
5.Evaluation- data, diagnoses, etiologies, plans, interventions
What is the Analysis of data?
1. Develops nursing dx
2. Identifies collaborative problems
3. Develops a plan of care
Ex of nursing dx: Risk of falling
1. Place call light near pt
2. Leave all lights on in room
Sources of data:
3. health care team
4. medical records (HIPPA- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996)
What do I need to collect?
1. Interview/health hx
2. Bio info
3. Reason for seeking health care
4. Present illness
5. Health hx
6. Psychosocial hx
7. Review of systems (subj obs.- trouble swallowing? probs w/ heart? probs w/ teeth?)(obj obs.-physical assessment, pupils don't dilate)
8. Physical exam
9. Observation of client behavior (cues, why can't pt sit?, inferences, validation)
10. Diagnostic and lab data
11. Validating data/analysis
12. Documentation of data collection (correct terminology, factual/objective, descriptive)
What is a Nursing Diagnosis?
* A clinical judgement about individual, family or community responses to actual and potential health probs or life processes
*Prioritize nursing diagnoses
What is a Medical Diagnosis?
Identification of a disease condition (diabetes mellitus, osteoarthritis)
*1982- North American Nursing Diagnosis Association
*ex: activity intolerance, hopelessness, risk for falls, acute pain, sleep deprivation
Nursing Diagnosis: Based on 2 parts of data collection
1. Diagnostic Label
2. Statement of a related factor
ex: acute pain R/T herniated disk? OR
acute pain R/T pressure on spinal
Planning Nursing Care: What's the plan?
* Setting goals for the client
* Setting expected outcomes
* Plans nursing interventions
* Sets priorities
* Goals must be client-centered, measurable, observable, and time-limited
Example of plan:
Nursing dx: Acute pain
Goal: pts level of comfort will improve before surgery
Expected outcome: pt will report pain less than 3 by time of surgery
* Any treatment, based upon clinical judgement and knowledge, that a nurse performs to enhance client outcomes.
* "Evidenced-based"- based upon clinical judgement and knowledge
Implementing Nursing Care:
*Interventions- based on assessment data, nursing dx, and goal and expected outcomes
Assessment: pt slowly, unable to tolerate sitting, slow, hesitant gait when walking
Nursing dx: Impaired physical mobility R/T acute pain
Goal: pt will have pain less than 3 by end of day
Interventions: pain meds, change position frequently, position in proper alignment, avoid positions that cause pain
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together