short ciliary nerves- are branches of the nasociliary nerve of the ophthalmic division (V1) of the trigeminal nerveShort ciliary nerves have postganglionic sympathetic fibers originating from what ganglion?superior cervical ganglionBoth short and long ciliary nerves do the same thing. But what are the two major differences between short ciliary nerves and long ciliary nerves?1) Short ciliary nerves passes through the ciliary ganglion, long ciliary nerves do not.
2) Short ciliary nerves have postganglionic parasympathetics and long ciliary nerves do not.Name the 3 types of fibers found in short ciliary nerves.Short ciliary nerves:
1) Somatosensory fibers
2) Post. ganglionic sympathetic
3) Post. ganglionic parasympatheticName the 2 types of fibers found in long ciliary nerves.Long ciliary nerves:
1) Somatosensory fibers
2) Post. ganglionic sympatheticParasympathetic fibers of the superior salivary nucleus travel with the facial nerve and leave the cranial cavity through the _____ _____ ______ of the temporal bone to enter the facial canal.internal auditory meatusAt the ______ _____, the majority of the facial nerve bends and descends vertically through the facial canal.geniculate ganglionThe greater petrosal nerve reenters the cranial cavity through the ______ of the ______ ______ and leaves the cranial cavity a second time by passing through the _____ ______ and entering the carotid canal.hiatus of the facial canal; foramen lacerumThe greater petrosal nerve has _________ parasympathetic fibers that leave the facial nerve to pass horizontally through the roof of the _____ ______ _____.preganglionic; middle ear cavityThe maxillary nerve enters the pterygopalatine fossa by way of what structure?foramen rotundumBranches of the pterygopalatine ganglion to the nasal mucosa glands join with ________ nerves of the maxillary nerve (V2).sphenopalatine
*check this flashcardBranches of the pterygopalatine ganglion to the oral mucosa join with the ______ and _______ ______ nerves of the maxillary nerve (V2).greater and lesser palatine
*check this flashcardBranches of the pterygopalatine ganglion destined to innervate the lacrimal gland take a more indirect course:
1) join with the _______branch of V2 and follow it into the floor of the orbit.
2) in the orbit the autonomic fibers form a ______ branch that travels to the lacrimal nerve (V1).
3) Follow the ____ nerve to the lacrimal gland where they innervate the lacrimal gland.1) zygomatic
3) lacrimal (V1)
* double check this flash cardChorda tympani passes around the malleus and incus to the anterior end of the middle ear cavity and exits the middle ear cavity through what structure?petrotympanic fissureThe preganglionic parasympathetic fibers leave the lingual nerve and terminate on the postganglionic neurons of the ________ ganglion.submandibularPreganglionic parasympathetic fibers of the inferior salivary nucleus join with the rest of CN IX to exit the skull through the _______ ________.jugular foramenPreganglionic parasympathetic fibers leave CN IX as the tympanic nerve at the _______ ______ located at the jugular foramen)inferior ganglionThe tympanic nerve enters the middle ear cavity through what structure?canaliculus of the tympanic nerveAt the roof of the middle ear cavity the preganglionic parasympathetic fibers leave the tympanic plexus and coalesce as the ______ _______ ______.lesser petrosal nerveThe postganglionic parasympathetic fibers, originating in the otic ganglion, "hitch a ride" with what nerve?auriculotemporal nerve (V3)The dorsal motor nucleus preganglionic parasympathetic neurons leave with the remainder of the vagus nerve through the ______ _______ to pass through the neck.jugular foramenThe vagus nerves passes through the _____ _____ ______ into the thorax to innervate heart, lungs and distal parts of the esophagus.superior thoracic apertureThe vagus nerves passes through the superior thoracic aperture into the thorax to innervate heart, lungs and distal parts of the esophagus. Where is the second neuron located?The second neuron is located in the walls of the organs.The vagus nerves pass through the _____ ____ to enter the abdomen. They innervate postganglionic parasympathetic ganglion in the walls of the abdominal organs up to the splenic flexure.esophageal hiatus