Create an account
FHR measured in response to fetal movement
- non-invasive, generally done @ 28 wks, similar to fetal heart monitoring
non stress test (NST)
usually done after NST, invasive
- assess ability of fetus to withstand the stress of uterine contractions, how will the fetus withstand labor?
- performed if NST is abnormal, also if PIH is worsening, only do if ready to deliver the baby
- gain c-section consent forms before
contraction stress test (CST) or oxytocin challenge test (OCT)
represented with no late decelerations of FHR, FHR stays within baseline during test, good sign
late decelerations/invariabilities of the FHR for more than half of the contractions, will do c-section, baby would not be able to withstand labor, bad sign
Used to determine:
- diagnosis of pregnancy
- confirm presence, size and location of placenta
- presentation and position of fetus
- fetal gross defects
physician inserts a needle into amniotic sac and removes amniotic fluid
- patient has to sign consent form, needs to void before procedure, RhoGAM (if indicated) should be given before procedure
- risks: hemorrhage, infection, puncture of fetus
measures lung maturity of the infant, ratio should be 2:1 or greater
lecithin/sphingomyelin ratio (L/S ratio)
blood test done prenatally (16-18 wks), some Dr's do and some don't, good way to begin to rule out genetic abnormalities, need to have a value somewhere in the middle, may or may not be accurate, serum test
alpha-fetoprotein test (AFP)
What are the five parameters of biophysical profile?
- test for preterm delivery
fetal breathing movements
amniotic fluid volume
fetal heart reactivity
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together