5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Supreme Court Chief Justice
- Council Member
- Commissioner of Insurance
- a Powers: Invest state funds; Disburse state funds. Responsibilities: Keep state funds secure; Manage the state's money; Lead the Louisiana Department of the Treasury; Make an annual financial report to governor and legislature. Limits: The legislature creates the budget and mandates the spending.
- b Powers: Order an autopsy; Commit a patient to a psychiatric facility against his or her will for two weeks if the ___ determines the patient is a danger to himself or herself or others. Responsibilities: Investigate unexplained deaths. Limits: Must follow the laws and the constitutions; the courts and voters evaluate; Must be a licensed physician unless no licensed physician will take the job.
- c Powers: Test and certify insurance professionals; Investigate insurance companies. Responsibilities: Regulate the insurance companies operating in Louisiana; Protect consumer's best interests. Limits: Must follow the laws and constitutions of the state and federal governments.
- d Powers: Has all the powers and responsibilities of the other Louisiana Supreme Court Justices; Chief administrative officer of the Louisiana judicial system. Responsibilities: Vote impartially on the legal and constitutional merits of the case. Limits: Decisions must not conflict with the U.S. Constitution.
- e Powers: May propose new city ordinances; Has a vote on ordinances. Responsibilities: Attend city council meetings; Represent the interests of his or her constituents. Limits: Ordinances may not conflict with state or federal laws or constitutions.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Powers: Administer business names and trademarks in Louisiana; Administer election laws. Responsibilities: Keeps & publishes official state records; Keeps & publishes acts of the legislature; Keeps the Great Seal; Chief elections officer -- manages the elections process. Limits: Must follow the laws and constitutions of the state and federal governments.
- Powers: Hears legal cases; Civil -- lawsuits; Domestic -- divorce and child custody; Criminal -- violations of the criminal code. Responsibilities: Decide impartially on the legal and constitutional merits of the case. Limits: Decisions must not conflict with the Louisiana or U.S. Constitutions; Decisions may be appealed to the Circuit Courts of Appeal.
- Powers: Hear cases involving traffic, small claims, and evictions. Responsibilities: Impartially decide cases guided by the laws and constitutions. Limits: Cannot hear cases over $25,000, Decisions may be appealed.
- Powers: Institute, prosecute, and intervene in any civil action or proceeding on behalf of the state; Advise and assist local district attorneys at their request. Responsibilities: Act as the chief attorney for Louisiana's state government; Head of the Louisiana Department of Justice; Promote public safety. Limits: Must follow the laws and constitutions of the state and federal governments.
- Powers: Inspection of products related to agriculture and natural resources; Inspection of weights and measures used in selling products related to natural resources. Responsibilities: Manages the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry. Limits: Must follow the laws and constitutions of the state and federal governments.
5 True/False questions
Clerk of Court → Powers: Keep records of real estate transactions, moveable property transactions, court decisions, marriages, etc. Responsibilities: Keep accurate and complete records for the courts. Limits: Must keep office open on the hours required by the state.
Speaker of the House → Powers: Presides over the Louisiana House of Representatives. Responsibilities: Manage the House and enforce its rules on the Representatives. Limits: Elected by the members of the House.
Lieutenant Governor → Powers: Replaces the governor if he or she cannot serve; Acts as governor if the governor is out-of-state or temporarily unable to serve; Becomes governor if the governor dies, is permanently incapacitated, or is removed from office by the Senate. Responsibilities: Promote the public image of Louisiana; Head the Department of Culture, Recreation, and Tourism. Limits: Must follow the laws and constitutions of the state and federal governments.
Sheriff → Powers; Manages law enforcement and incarceration for the parish. Responsibilities: Makes personnel decisions about the deputies and other employees in the department. Limits: Must follow the laws and the constitutions; the courts and voters evaluate; Can only enforce the laws and ordinances made by the legislative branch.
Supreme Court Justice → Powers: Votes and writes opinions on important legal cases that involve the interpretation of the Louisiana Constitution. Responsibilities: Vote impartially on the legal and constitutional merits of the case. Limits: Decisions must not conflict with the U.S. Constitution; Decisions may be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.