5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome)
- a a bacterial STD that causes ulcers or chancres; if untreated, it can lead to mental and physical disabilities and premature death. It is a common venereal disease caused by the Treponema pallidum spirochete
- b parasitic blood-sucking roundworms having hooked mouth parts to fasten to the intestinal wall of human and other hosts
- c Immune system disease caused by the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) which over a period of years weakens the capacity of the immune system to fight off infection so that weight loss and weakness set in and other afflictions such as cancer or pneumonia may hasten an infected person's demise.
- d an infection with the tapeworm parasite found in beef or pork. Symptoms: Tapeworm infection usually does not cause any symptoms. However, some people may have abdominal discomfort.
- e a disease that is caused by a parasitic blood fluke of the genus Schistosoma and that affects the skin, intestines, liver, vascular system, or other organs
5 Multiple choice questions
- a contagious disease that leads to painful swelling of the salivary glands.
- an acute respiratory infection caused by Legionella bacteria. Symptoms may include, chest pain, coughing up blood, fever, gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain, general discomfort, uneasiness, or ill feeling (malaise), headache, joint pain
- a viral infection causing fever, sore throat, and swollen lymph glands, especially in the neck.
- an infectious disease caused by RNA viruses of the family Orthomyxoviridae (the influenza viruses), that affects birds and mammals. The most common symptoms of the disease are chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness/fatigue and general discomfort.
- infections of the skin or nails caused by fungi and appearing as itching circular patches
5 True/False questions
Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning → caused by dinoflagellates producing saxitoxins that cause toxicity by binding to a molecule that is required for nerve and muscle activity
Potato Blight → Phytophthora infestans is an oomycete that causes this serious potato disease.
Anthrax → fungal infection of the mouth caused by Candida albicans resulting in painful creamy white raised patches of the tongue and oral mucosa
Shingles → is a painful, blistering skin rash due to the varicella-zoster virus, the virus that causes chickenpox.
Ergotism → fungal, poisoning by ingestion of ergot-infected grain products, characterized by thirst and diarrhea and nausea and craming and vomiting and abnormal cardiac rhythms; in severe cases it can cause seizures and gangrene of the limbs