5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Potato Blight
- a Phytophthora infestans is an oomycete that causes this serious potato disease.
- b Common in the Mississippi and Ohio River Valleys and in caves. Grow as mold and become aerosolized when soil is disturbed. Usually presents as pneumonia.
- c a viral disease that causes acute encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) in endotherms
- d a viral infection causing fever, sore throat, and swollen lymph glands, especially in the neck.
- e is infection with the roundworm Trichinella spiralis. Symptoms: Abdominal discomfort; Cramping; Diarrhea; Facial swelling around the eyes; Fever; Muscle pain
5 Multiple choice questions
- a nematode worm parasite that lives in the intestine of humans and animals; females lay their eggs around the anus, which causes itching
- a highly contagious bacterial disease caused by Bordetella pertussis. Symptoms are initially mild, and then develop into severe coughing fits, which produce the namesake high-pitched "whoop" sound in infected babies and children when they inhale air after coughing. The coughing stage lasts for approximately six weeks before subsiding.
- Immune system disease caused by the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) which over a period of years weakens the capacity of the immune system to fight off infection so that weight loss and weakness set in and other afflictions such as cancer or pneumonia may hasten an infected person's demise.
- caused by dinoflagellates producing saxitoxins that cause toxicity by binding to a molecule that is required for nerve and muscle activity
- an infectious disease due to a type of bacteria called Bacillus anthracis. Infection in humans most often involves the skin, gastrointestinal tract, or lungs.
5 True/False questions
Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever → a viral infection transmitted by mosquitoes. Symptoms: Arrhythmias, heart dysfunction; Bleeding
Shingles → a bacterial STD that causes ulcers or chancres; if untreated, it can lead to mental and physical disabilities and premature death. It is a common venereal disease caused by the Treponema pallidum spirochete
Chicken Pox → Highly contagious viral infection, Symptoms are a body rash and fever.
Ringworm → infections of the skin or nails caused by fungi and appearing as itching circular patches
Tetanus → an acute and serious infection of the central nervous system caused by bacterial infection of open wounds