5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Dutch Elm Disease
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- Legionnaire's Disease
- a fungal, caused by fungus, spread by roots and bark beetles on elm trees, managed by herbicides and fungicides
- b a disease brought on by a type of bacteria carried by ticks. Symptoms usually develop about 2 to 14 days after the tick bite. They may include: Chills; Confusion; Fever; Headache; Muscle pain
- c an acute respiratory infection caused by Legionella bacteria. Symptoms may include, chest pain, coughing up blood, fever, gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain, general discomfort, uneasiness, or ill feeling (malaise), headache, joint pain
- d a viral disease that can affect nerves and can lead to partial or full paralysis.
- e a viral infection causing fever, sore throat, and swollen lymph glands, especially in the neck.
5 Multiple choice questions
- a bacterial STD that causes ulcers or chancres; if untreated, it can lead to mental and physical disabilities and premature death. It is a common venereal disease caused by the Treponema pallidum spirochete
- a common sexually transmitted infection in humans caused by the bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis. The term can also refer to infection caused by any species belonging to its bacterial family. It is found only in humans. It is a major infectious cause of human genital and eye disease.
- is a painful, blistering skin rash due to the varicella-zoster virus, the virus that causes chickenpox.
- caused by dinoflagellates producing saxitoxins that cause toxicity by binding to a molecule that is required for nerve and muscle activity
- ..., contagious fungal infection in the superficial skin layer and leads to skin eruptions which usually form small blisters between toes and sometimes fingers, followed by cracking, peeling and scaling
5 True/False questions
Scrapie → a viral disease that causes acute encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) in endotherms
Tapeworm → an infection with the tapeworm parasite found in beef or pork. Symptoms: Tapeworm infection usually does not cause any symptoms. However, some people may have abdominal discomfort.
West Nile Fever → a virus of the family Flaviviridae. Part of the Japanese encephalitis antigenic complex of viruses, it is found in both tropical and temperate regions. It mainly infects birds, but is known to infect humans, horses, dogs, cats, bats, chipmunks, skunks, squirrels, domestic rabbits, crows, robins, crocodiles and alligators. The main route of human infection is through the bite of an infected mosquito.
Potato Blight → Phytophthora infestans is an oomycete that causes this serious potato disease.
Dental Caries → an infectious disease of the tropics transmitted by mosquitoes and characterized by rash and aching head and joints