Create an account
National Guidelines for School Mathematics
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics is the group that is considered responsible for establishing mathematics standards:
- The Common Core State Standards for School Mathematics
- The Principles and Standards for School Mathematics
- Process Standards: 1. Communication
2. Reasoning and Proof
4. Problem Solving
- Principle and Standards
- fully explains the standards at each of the grade bands.
- Focal Points - published by NCTM
- other professional organizations recommended by NCTM
Two sources: (1) Second Handbook for Research on Mathematics Learning and Teaching, (2) Teaching and Learning Mathematics: Translating Research for Elementary School Teachers.
- The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) is the nation's measure of students' achievement and trends in achievement in the academic subjects.
Cultural and International Resources
- The Trends in Mathematical and Science Study (TIMMS), an international study given at grades 4 and 8, clearly shows that U.S. students could do better in mathematics.
The TIMMS study collects information about curriculum, teaching and teachers.
Discuss five sources of help that you can turn to when considering the mathematics program
- textbooks and other materials
- electronic materials
- professional organizations
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together