National Guidelines for School Mathematics
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics is the group that is considered responsible for establishing mathematics standards:
- The Common Core State Standards for School Mathematics
- The Principles and Standards for School Mathematics
- Process Standards: 1. Communication
2. Reasoning and Proof
4. Problem Solving
- Principle and Standards
- fully explains the standards at each of the grade bands.
- Focal Points - published by NCTM
- other professional organizations recommended by NCTM
Two sources: (1) Second Handbook for Research on Mathematics Learning and Teaching, (2) Teaching and Learning Mathematics: Translating Research for Elementary School Teachers.
- The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) is the nation's measure of students' achievement and trends in achievement in the academic subjects.
Cultural and International Resources
- The Trends in Mathematical and Science Study (TIMMS), an international study given at grades 4 and 8, clearly shows that U.S. students could do better in mathematics.
The TIMMS study collects information about curriculum, teaching and teachers.
Discuss five sources of help that you can turn to when considering the mathematics program
- textbooks and other materials
- electronic materials
- professional organizations