5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- trial before Inquisition; church threatens torture = agrees his findings are false; house arrest until death
- Cardinal Mazarin was true ruler when Louis was a "boy king"; ended 30 Years War (=France most powerful in Europe); increased taxes and strengthened central gov
- linked algebra and geometry; everything doubted until proved by reason (helped advance scientific method)
- common defense of absolutism; idea that rulers were given right by God to control the whole country
- invaded Spanish Netherlands (gained 12 towns); invaded Dutch Netherlands (gained several towns and region); War of the Spanish Succession (Bourbon dynasty power increases to Spain; other countries feel threatened)
- a Who was Rene Descartes?
- b What wars did Louis XIV involve in?
- c What was the role of Cardinals during King Louis XIV's rule?
- d What happened to Galileo when he contradicted the church?
- e What is "divine right"?
5 Multiple choice questions
- What was Japanese policy toward European contact?
- What occurred during William and Mary's reign of England?
- What were the main ideas of Beccaria?
- In the war of Spanish Succession, who gained the throne of Spain?
- What were Galileo's discoveries?
5 True/False questions
gold, God, glory → Who was the great admiral for the Chinese during their exploration?
kabuki theater (skits about modern urban life); paintings = woodblock prints (show city life); stories of self-made merchants/hardships of life; haiku poetry (images, not ideas) → What did Newton discover?
James I --> Charles I --> Oliver Cromwell --> Charles II --> James II --> William and Mary → What is the order of power within Japanese feudalism?
light/dark contrast; sensual
* → What were the reasons in revising the Articles of Confederation?
objets attract to each other on earth and in universe → What were the main ideas of Voltaire?