5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- gold, God, glory
- linked algebra and geometry; everything doubted until proved by reason (helped advance scientific method)
- gov. corrupted people's natural goodness; only good gov=formed by people and guided by will of society
- all humans naturally selfish and wicked; gov. job to keep order; people give up some rights to gain order; best gov.: absolute monarchy
- Czar of Russia; created a secret police force (search for wife's "murderer") to kill nobles; took land from boyars (nobles) and gave to people he favored
- a Who was "Ivan the Terrible"?
- b What are the three factors that encouraged exploration?
- c Who was Rene Descartes?
- d What were the main ideas of Rousseau?
- e What were the main ideas of Thomas Hobbes?
5 Multiple choice questions
- What was the Treaty of Nijmegen?
- What wars did Louis XIV involve in?
- What occurred during James I's reign of England?
- What occurred during William and Mary's reign of England?
- What was Japanese policy toward European contact?
5 True/False questions
* → Who did the Qing make a vassal state to China?
Unified Japan; sole ruler (shogon); moved capital to Edo (later Tokyo); "tamed" the daimyo"; founded "Tokugawa Shogunate" = stability in Japan → What are the achievements of Tokugawa Ieyasu?
objets attract to each other on earth and in universe → What were the main ideas of Voltaire?
(not a monarch)
abolished monarchy and House of Lords; constitution drafted then destroyed = military dictator; crushed Ireland rebellion; promoted Puritan morality and abolished "sinful activities"; welcomed all regions (Jews!) except Catholics → What occurred during Oliver Cromwell's reign of England?
Brahe's assistant; demonstrated Brahe's data through mathematics that planets revolve around sun → What is a constitutional monarchy?