5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- functional groups
- Endoplasmic Reticulum (Eukaryotic cells)
- Eukaryotic Cells
- a elements with the same atomic number, different mass numbers.
- b a biosynthetic factory, two forms, smooth and rough - Rough - studded with ribosomes, small RNA structures where proteins are manufactured, Smooth - lack ribosomes, wall contains enzymes that make phospholipids, steroids, fatty acids, detoxify poisons, and store minerals used for muscle contraction -________ packages products in tiny sacs called transport vesicles that bud-off
- c are parts of a molecule that participate in a chemical reaction
- d these are non-polar, hydrocarbons, which are composed of fat molecules. Fat = glycerol + fatty acid. _______ are 1) important components of cell membranes (phospho_______), 2) molecules (steroids) that regulate cell function, and 3) molecules (waxes) that protect other cells
- e have a membrane that surrounds nuclear material
Components: Nucleus, Cytoplasm, Organelles, hydrophilic heads, hydrophobic tails,
5 Multiple choice questions
- some molecules have charged areas - this makes them polar. Polar areas of molecules can bond with polar areas of other molecules to form weak bonds called hydrogen bonds, hydrogen bonds make water cohesive
- small nitrogen containing molecules, amino acids, are joined to form dipeptides which are joined to form polypeptides which may be joined to other polypeptides to from proteins. Proteins have unique 3 dimensional shapes or configurations that enable them to function as enzymes to catalyze reactions and function in other active ways.
- single sugar units such as glucose (= a monosaccharide) are joined to form disaccharides such as maltose which can be joined to other sugars to form polysaccharides such as starch (plants) or glycogen (animals), cellulose is a large polysaccharide made by plants that is not easily broken down, chitin is a polysaccharide used by insects to build their exoskeleton - ________ are important sources of energy, and for building structures in plants and animals
- determine chemical properties of atoms = how it will react (bond) with other atoms
- Protons, Neutrons, electrons (subatomic particles).
5 True/False questions
Hydrocarbons= → molecules of carbon + hydrogen
Ionic bonds → some molecules have charged areas - this makes them polar. Polar areas of molecules can bond with polar areas of other molecules to form weak bonds called hydrogen bonds, hydrogen bonds make water cohesive
RNA → forms our genes,
Ribosomes (Eukaryotic cells) → hydrolytic enzymes are manufactured by the ER sent to the Golgi for finishing and repackaging in sacs called _________, ___________ merge with food vacuoles to digest food or destroy invading organisms -Abnormal __________ can cause diseases include Tay-Sachs - inability to break down lipids resulting in damage to nerves and brain
Elements → determine chemical properties of atoms = how it will react (bond) with other atoms