5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- functional groups
- Carbon skeleton
- Levels of Organization
- Endomembrane system (Eukaryotic cells)
- a chain of carbon atoms in an organic molecule
- b a system of interconnected membranes that run throughout the cell for synthesis, storage, and transport of products
- c are parts of a molecule that participate in a chemical reaction
- d biosphere, ecosystem, community, population, organism, organ system, organs, tissues, cells, organelle, molecule, atom
- e elements with the same atomic number, different mass numbers.
5 Multiple choice questions
- a biosynthetic factory, two forms, smooth and rough - Rough - studded with ribosomes, small RNA structures where proteins are manufactured, Smooth - lack ribosomes, wall contains enzymes that make phospholipids, steroids, fatty acids, detoxify poisons, and store minerals used for muscle contraction -________ packages products in tiny sacs called transport vesicles that bud-off
- ibers that run through the cell providing support, movement, anchorage and movement of organelles, 3 types - microfilaments, intermediate filaments, microtubules - the microtubule organizing center is called the centriole
- forms our genes,
- single sugar units such as glucose (= a monosaccharide) are joined to form disaccharides such as maltose which can be joined to other sugars to form polysaccharides such as starch (plants) or glycogen (animals), cellulose is a large polysaccharide made by plants that is not easily broken down, chitin is a polysaccharide used by insects to build their exoskeleton - ________ are important sources of energy, and for building structures in plants and animals
- number of protons
5 True/False questions
fat → = glycerol + fatty acid.
are another source of energy but some may contribute to heart disease. Most plant __ are unsaturated oils and most animal __ are saturated.
Lysosomes (Eukaryotic cells) → small RNA structures where proteins are manufactured
Mitochondria (Eukaryotic cells) → found in plants and animals, chemical energy in food such as sugars is converted to an energy source useable in cells called ATP, ___________ have a membrane, an intermembrane space and matrix. Reactions take place in the matrix
Elements → determine chemical properties of atoms = how it will react (bond) with other atoms
nucleic acids → two types, DNA and RNA. DNA forms our genes, RNA reads the genes and helps make proteins, __________ _____ are composed of joined monomers called nucleotides. These nucleotides are composed of a sugar - deoxyribose (DNA) or ribose (RNA), a nitrogenous base (adenine, thymine, cytosine, guanine, or uracil), and a phosphate group