TPP: Ch.4.5 / Bacterial Appendages
Terms in this set (9)
Appendages provide motility for bacteria. Name the 2 subgroups of appendages.
2. Endoflagella (axial filaments)
Flagella are very thin, ___nm wide, and long, ___nm in length.
1. 20nm wide
2. 70nm long
Flagella are made of 3 distinct parts.
Name them along with brief description of each.
1. Filament: a helical structure composed of protein,
inserted into a curved tubular ......
2. Hook: anchored through the cell wall to cell membrane
by the ......
3. Basal body: a stack of rings
What is the name of the protein in the Filament?
Movement of the Flagella is by circular rotation of the ___, which acts like a universal joint.
Bacterial Appendages **
All spirilla, about half of the ___ and a small number of ___ are flagellated.
Flagella vary in both number and arrangement according to what 2 general patterns?
1. Polar flagella
2. Peritrichous flagella
Polar flagella are found at ___ or ___ of the cell and can vary in number.
one or both end
What are the 3 types of Polar flagella. Give a brief description of each.
1. Monotrichous: refers to a single flagellum at one end of
2. Lophotrichous: refers to tufts of flagella at 1 end of the
3. Amphitrichous: flagella are randomly distributed
around the entire bacterial cell.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
MCAT Biology | Kaplan Guide
Microbiology: Prokaryotic Cell Structure
Ex. 6: Special Structural Stains (Flagellar, Capsule, Endospore
Chapter 03 Homework
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
chronic otitis media
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Microbio-Lecture 3 & 4
Lab pratical microbiology
Microbiology Lab Quiz #1
Micrbio Exam 2: Lecture 7