5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a the Arabic word for western North Africa; a region of western North Africa, consisting of the Mediterranean coastlands of what is now Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria
- b The Lion Prince; a member of the Keita clan; created a unified state that became the Mali Empire; died about 1260
- c The Arabic term for eastern north Africa; the term used by the Romans for Africa.
- d ..., occurring in the same period of time
- e Port city of Mali; located just off the flood plain on the great bend in the Niger River; population of 50,000; contained a library and university.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The Coptic (Christians of Egypt) influence spread up the Nile into__________________(the ancient land of Kush). Muslims attempted to penetrate_________and met stiff resistance in the 9th century (left Christian descendants of ancient Kush - left as independent Christian kingdom until 13th century).
- Ethiopian king and monarch of Zagwe dynasty who directed a remarkable building project in which 11 great churches were sculpted from rock into the ground
- A puritanical reformist movement among the Islamic Berber tribes of northern Africa; controlled gold trade across Sahara; conquered Ghana in 1076; moved southward against African kingdom of the savanna and westward into Spain.
- Professional oral historians who served as keepers of traditions and advisors to kings within the Mali Empire
- A reformist movement among the Islamic Berbers of northern Africa; later than the Almoravids; penetrated into sub-Sahara Africa.
5 True/False questions
Diviner → Nigerian city-state form by the Edo people during the 14th century by Ewuare the Great; famous for its bronze art work
Matrilineal → The people who broke away from Ghana control and founded Mali in the 13th century
King Lalibela → Arab traveler who described African societies and cultures in his travel records
Swahili → an Arabic-influenced Bantu language that is spoken widely in eastern and central Africa
Muhammad the Great(Askia Muhammad) → greatest Mali king; brought Mali to its peak of power and wealth from 1312 the 1337; expanded borders, maintained peace and order, religious freedom and tolerance; hajj to Mecca; built Timbuktu