Create an account
indicates the frequency, amount, or percentage of items in a set of categories so that you can see differences between categories.
shows each category, the length of which represents the amount, frequency or percentage of values falling into a category.
a circle broken up into slices that represent categories. The size of each slice of the pie varies according to the percentage in each category
1. Used to portray categorical data (nominal scale)
2. A vertical bar chart, where categories are shown in descending order of frequency
3. A cumulative polygon is shown in the same graph
4. Used to separate the "vital few" from the "trivial many"
1. is a sequence of data, in rank order, from the smallest value to the largest value.
2. Shows range (minimum value to maximum value)
3. May help identify outliers (unusual observations)
Stem and Leaf Display
1. A simple way to see how the data are distributed and where concentrations of data exist
2. organizes data into groups (called stems) so that the values within each group (the leaves) branch out to the right on each row
is a summary table in which the data are arranged into numerically ordered classes
Why Use a Frequency Distribution
1.It condenses the raw data into a more useful form
2. It allows for a quick visual interpretation of the data
3. It enables the determination of the major characteristics of the data set including where the data are concentrated / clustered
1. A vertical bar chart of the data in a frequency distribution is called
2. In a histogram there are no gaps between adjacent bars.
formed by having the midpoint of each class represent the data in that class and then connecting the sequence of midpoints at their respective class percentages.
cumulative percentage polygon
-also called an ogive
-displays the variable of interest along the X axis, and the cumulative percentages along the Y axis.
-Useful when there are two or more groups to compare.
1. Used to study patterns that may exist between two or more categorical variables.
2. can be presented in Contingency Tables
cross-classification (or contingency) table
presents the results of two categorical variables. The joint responses are classified so that the categories of one variable are located in the rows and the categories of the other variable are located in the columns.
How is a contingency table set up
The cell is the intersection of the row and column and the value in the cell represents the data corresponding to that specific pairing of row and column categories
1. are used for numerical data consisting of paired observations taken from two numerical variables
2. used to examine possible relationships between two numerical variables
How is a time series plot set up?
Numeric variable is measured on the vertical axis and the time period is measured on the horizontal axis
When constructing a frequency distribution, classes should be selected in such a way that they are of equal width. (True of False)
True or False: If you wish to construct a graph of a relative frequency distribution, you would most likely construct an ogive first.
True or False: A histogram can have gaps between the bars, whereas bar charts cannot have gaps.
A survey of 150 executives were asked what they think is the most common mistake candidates make during job interviews. Six different mistakes were given. Which of the following is the best for presenting the information?
Data on the number of part-time hours students at a public university worked in a week were collected. Which of the following is the best chart for presenting the information?
A percentage polygon
The width of each bar in a histogram corresponds to the
differences between the boundaries of the class.
True or False: The percentage distribution cannot be constructed from the frequency distribution directly.
You have collected data on the approximate retail price (in $) and the energy cost per year (in $) of 15 refrigerators. Which of the following is the best for presenting the data?
A scatter diagram
True or False: One of the advantages of a pie chart is that it clearly shows that the total of all the categories of the pie adds to 100%.
You have collected data on the number of U.S. households actively using online banking and/or online bill payment from 1995 to 2007. Which of the following is the best for presenting the data?
a times series plot
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together