5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- c. Extensive training
- a. Unification of the Church and State
- b. Religious worship is forbidden.
- d. Utilitarianism
- a. Expulsion from school to target for outside programming
- a 7. The doctrine in which the aim of all action should be the greatest pleasure for the largest number of citizens is called
- b 6. Sir Thomas More refused to accept which of the following statements that resulted in his death?
a. Unification of the Church and State
b. Change ecclesiastical law to suit the marital desires of Henry VIII
c. Corporal punishment prevents crime
d. Social conditions do not cause crime
- c 9. Which of the following is NOT a contributing factor to low quality jail personnel?
a. Poor working conditions
b. Political appointment
c. Extensive training
d. Low pay
- d 13. Religion services in prison suffers from all of the following problems except:
a. One chaplain, who is traditionally trained in only one spiritual tradition, needs to provide spiritual services to inmates of all faiths.
b. Religious worship is forbidden.
c. Low salary to minister in prison.
d. Prison chaplainry is not a particularly desirable job in the field.
- e 5. The prevention ideology contains all of the following concepts except
a. Expulsion from school to target for outside programming
b. A focus on a child's social and emotional problems
c. A focus on the individual and the environment around him or her
d. Programs that generally begin in the school
5 Multiple choice questions
- 15. As advocated by Walter C. Reckless, a presentence investigation report or PSI should include all of the following information except:
a. Administrative policies of sentences
b. Recommendations for sentence
c. Objective content
d. Subjective content
- 8. This type of correctional ideology argues that criminality is a manifestation of pathology that can be managed or even reversed in some way. The goal of this ideology is to make offenders aware of their maladaptive behavior and to change it. Which correctional ideology does this refer to?
a. Incapacitation ideology
b. Deterrence ideology
c. Treatment ideology
d. Restorative justice ideology
- 12. Maconochie's principles are based on all of the following except
a. A prisoner should earn everything he receives in prison
b. Labor in prison is based on improvement of conduct, frugality of living, and habits of living
c. When appropriate, offenders should form small groups where everyone is responsible for each other's behavior
d. Release from prison should be based on time served
- 8. The Bureau of Justice Statistics (2004) estimated that the average jail population nation-wide on any given day is approximately how many inmates?
a. 120,000 jail inmates
b. 267,000 jail inmates
c. 423,000 jail inmates
d. 714,000 jail inmates
- 18. Judicial and administrative sentencing processes share common criteria in decision-making. Which of the following is not one of them?
a. The offender's past criminal record
b. The use of good time
c. Classification of the crime as aggravated, "normal," and mitigated
d. The degree of repentance demonstrated by the offender
5 True/False questions
a. Hard labor → 12. All of the following are major medical problems faced by prison and jail inmates today except:
a. Hepatitis A and B
b. HIV infection
c. Small pox
d. The probationer can possess a firearm. → 16. There were several events that coincided between 1975 and 1985 to create prison population boom. Which of the following is not a reason for this dramatic increase in prisoners?
a. The War on Drugs
b. The shift to conservative beliefs to deal with crime
c. The creation of intermediate sanctions
d. "baby boom" group in crime-prone age range
b. Rehabilitation → 1. The basic reason for punishment include all of the following reasons except:
a. Compensate the victim for loss of injury. → 12. Restitution requires the offender to:
a. Compensate the victim for loss of injury.
b. Be incarcerated for his or her crime.
c. Plea bargain for a lesser sentence.
d. Be placed on probation.
c. Harsh → 9. For deterrence to work, punishment must be all of the following except
a. A. closely linked to behavior that one wishes to stop