26. Which of the following describes the sequential processes occurring in the stomach?
I-Peristaltic waves of contraction propel the food along the esophagus.
II-Gastric juices are secreted with the arrival of food into the duodenum.
III-The acidic chyme is transferred through the pyloric sphincter.
IV-HCl and pepsin begin digestion of proteins into shorter polypeptides.
A. IV, III, and II
B. II, III, and IV
C. I, II, and III
D. I, II, and IV
E. II, IV, and III
38. Since the hepatic portal vein empties into the liver, it is able to control the amounts of
A. alcohol and drugs.
B. toxins, pesticides, and carcinogens.
D. glucose, alcohol, and drugs.
E. glucose, alcohol, drugs, toxins, pesticides, and carcinogens
46. If one examined the various layers of the gastrointestinal tract of a vertebrate, they would encounter (going from outside the tract to inside of the tract)
A. the submucosa, the mucosa, the lumen, the plexuses, and the serosa.
B. the serosa, submucosa, and the mucosa.
C. the serosa, submucosa, and the lumen.
D. the mucosa, the plexuses, and the serosa.
E. the serosa, the mucosa, and the submucosa.
47. The teeth of an adult human are arranged in the following fashion. (Note: The orientation is front and moving right along the bottom jaw.)
A. incisors, molars, canines, premolars
B. incisors, canines, molars, premolars
C. incisors, canines, premolars, molars
D. incisors, premolars, molars, canines
E. canines, incisors, premolars, molars
49. The human intestine is divided into three regions. Which choice presents the correct order beginning from the stomach?
A. pylorus, duodenum, ileum
B. duodenum, ileum, jejunum
C. pylorus, duodenum, jejunum
D. duodenum, ileum, pylorus
E. duodenum, jejunum, ileum