6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- the period in the geologic time scale beginning about 248 million years ago and lasting about 183 million years ago- called Age of the Reptiles. Dinosaurs, marine lizards, birds, cone-bearing trees, and starting flower bearing plants.
- a species of hominid that lived in Europe and Western Asia from 230,000 years ago to about 30,000 years ago
- a period in the geological time scale beginning when the Earth originated, 4.6 million years ago, and ending when complex organisms appeared, about 540 million years ago- no oxygen in the atmosphere and all creatures lived in the ocean to escape harmful UV rays. Prokaryotes only exsisted. They were anaerobic. Then, cyanobacteria (photosynthetic organisms) began to produce oxygen that seeped through the water, into the atmosphere, and formed the ozone layer. Eukaryotes began to develop.
- determining whether an event or object, such as a fossil, is older or younger than other events or objects
- an early hominid that evolved more than 3.6 million years ago
- a cell that does not have a nucleus or any other membrane-covered organelles; also called a bacterium
5 True/False questions
What was the first organism on Earth? → opposable thumbs, opposable big toes in all primates except humans, 5 fingers, binocular vision
List the defining characteristics for each era. → opposable thumbs, opposable big toes in all primates except humans, 5 fingers, binocular vision
Absolute Dating → estimating the age of a sample or event in years , usually by measuring the amount of unstable atoms in the sample
What are the characteristics of primates? → prokaryotic cells and then cyanobacteria
Prosimians → the first primate ancestor; also, a group of living primates that includes lorises and lemurs, 55 million years ago