5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- secondary pollutants
- industrial smog
- High-pressure system
- cold front
- a a heavy metal that enters the atmosphere as a particular pollutant. Help improve engim=nge preformance.
- b Harmful substances produced when primary pollutants interact or react with contituents of the atmosphere
- c thr boundry along which a colder, drier air mass displaces a warmer, moister air mass
- d contains air that moves outward away from a center of the system and spirals upward
- e When coal or oil is burned, some portion is completly combusted, forming CO2
5 Multiple choice questions
- The apparent deflection of north-south air currents to a partly east-west direction, caused by the faster spin if regions near the equator than of regions near the poles as a result of earth's rotation
- Technology to chemically treat gas produced in combustion to remove hazardous components and neutralize acidic gases, turning them into water and aslt, in order to reduce smokestack emissions
- the ratio of water vapor a given volume of air contains at a given temperature
- a departure from the normal temperature distribution in the atmosphere, in which a pocket of relavitevly cold air occurs near the ground, with warmer air above it.
- extends 11-50 km above sea level, level above troposphere and below mesosphere
5 True/False questions
Particulate matter → composed of solid or liquid particles small enough to be suspended in the atmosphere.
Tropospheric ozone → the bottomost layer, blankets earths surface and provides us the air we need to live
warm front → thr boundry along which a colder, drier air mass displaces a warmer, moister air mass
carbon monoxide → a colorless, odorless gas produced primarily by the imcomplete combustion of fuel. Mostly from cars and engines.
nitrogen dioxide → a colorless gas, has a pungent odor. Usually results from combustion of coal.