5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- relative humidity
- nitrogen dioxide
- secondary pollutants
- convective circulation
- Tropospheric ozone
- a A circular current driven by temperature differences, in the air warm air rises into regiona of lower atmospheric pressure, where it expands and cools and then descends and becomes denser.
- b a highly reactive, foul smelling reddish brown gas that contributes to smog and acid precipitation.
- c the ratio of water vapor a given volume of air contains at a given temperature
- d A secondary pollutant, a major component of smog, colorless gas
- e Harmful substances produced when primary pollutants interact or react with contituents of the atmosphere
5 Multiple choice questions
- a departure from the normal temperature distribution in the atmosphere, in which a pocket of relavitevly cold air occurs near the ground, with warmer air above it.
- atmospheric conditions over short time periods, typically hours or days, and within relatively small gergraphic areas
- pollutants emitted into the troposphere in a from that can be directly harmful or that can react to form harmful substances
- When coal or oil is burned, some portion is completly combusted, forming CO2
- A portion of the stratosphere, roughly 17-30 km above sea level, that contains most of the ozone in the atmosphere
5 True/False questions
scrubbers → Technology to chemically treat gas produced in combustion to remove hazardous components and neutralize acidic gases, turning them into water and aslt, in order to reduce smokestack emissions
Chlorofluorcarbons (CFC's) → The apparent deflection of north-south air currents to a partly east-west direction, caused by the faster spin if regions near the equator than of regions near the poles as a result of earth's rotation
warm front → The bounsry along which a mass of warmer, moister air replaces a mass of colder, drier air.
Clean air act of 1970 &1990 → 1970- legislation set stricter standards for air quality, imposed limits on emissions from new stationary and mobile sources etc.
1990- sought to strengthen regulations pertaining to air quality standards, auto emissins, toxic air pollution etc.
Coriolis effect → The apparent deflection of north-south air currents to a partly east-west direction, caused by the faster spin if regions near the equator than of regions near the poles as a result of earth's rotation