5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- (Horatio) Alger
- "New Immigration"
- Panic of '93
- a wrote rags-to-riches tales such as "Luck and Pluck", "Bound to Rise", and "Tattered Tom"
- b new immigrants to the United States, which primarily were from Southern and Eastern Europe, and from the Orient
- c 4 years of the worst depression the country had ever seen
- d a court order
- e a new literary approach which emphasized man's helplessness and struggle with the world
5 Multiple choice questions
- The Gilded Age
- civil service reform act passed under Arthur's presidency
- Democratic presidential nominee in 1884, won election
- America's first billionaire
- invented phonograph, projector, and incandescent light bulb
5 True/False questions
vertical integration → controlling all of one entire segment of an industry
(Samuel) Gompers → leader of the American Federation of Labor (AFL)
Pullman Strike → strike in which Pittsburgh workers went on strike, resulting in fighting which killed 9 people
(Chester A.) Arthur → a naturalist, wrote "Maggie: A Girl in the Streets" and "The Red Badge of Courage"
Grange → legal device by which a board of trustees is empowered to make decisions and control the operation of a whole group of companies